Chapter 2

Alice

I was giggling and laughing, too engrossed on the book that I was reading. Even its title was funny too. It was sort of a romance/comedy kind of story. Regardless of its genre, I loved it.

How I missed reading. It was my favorite pastime. It made me relaxed and free from all the stress I had on work. It was like being in another world with no one interrupting me.

I flipped through its pages, engaged in its story and characters.

Hmmm, Adaiah, that's a cute name.

I looked up from my book as I sensed someone approaching and saw Cassie making her way towards me. I panicked and quickly leaned down to hide my book but I was too late.

"What are you doing, give me that." She snatched the book from my hands.

I threw my hands in the air in irritation. "What the hell, Cassie. Give it back."

I stood up and reached for it but she was too quick to elude.

"What did I tell you? No books. We're going to a vacation, not a book fair."

"Okay, just give it back. Please?"

"But no reading, okay?" She said and pointed a finger at me like I was a child.

"Fine." I conceded and took the book from her hands.

"Come on, Alice. Loosen up. I'm sure you're going to enjoy this." She put a hand on her hip and eyed me with assurance.

"It's an eight-hour flight. What do you expect me to do?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. Socialize with your kind, look outside the window. Do whatever you want."

And with that she walked away. Leaving me no choice but to stare at the cold, thin air.

I glanced at my watch to check the time. Great, 6 hours to go.

I looked outside the window admiring the breathtaking view that it gave me. Cassie's instincts were right, it would be beaming today.

*********************

After our flight, Leo and Cassie invited me to go for a stroll, but I just decided to go straight into hotel to check in and rest. I had a bad jet lag to walk around. I could do that tomorrow since we would be staying here for five days.

I arrived at the hotel and saw the exceedingly tall building. The pictures were right, the building itself was breathtaking.

I stepped inside the building, taking in the pristine marble tiles and creme colored walls. I walked up to the front desk and checked me in.

The hotel was enormous. It was owned by the family of my friend and the business run in their family for 13 years. She told me we could stay here as long as we wanted. I would remember to text her later to say thanks.

I went to the elevator and pressed the button, waiting for a lift.

When the elevator door opened, I was relieved that there was no one inside. I wouldn't have to share those awkward, silent lifts.

I stepped inside and pressed the close button. The metal doors were about to meet when suddenly, a hand blocked its way.

The man stepped inside without even sparing me a glance.

Oh great. I guess I'm having one those awkward, silent lifts.

I leaned against the cold metal, feeling uncomfortable. I stole glances from him. I noticed that he was tall and well built. He had broad shoulders and muscles clearly bulging from his shirt. I couldn't see his face clearly on that angle. All I could see was that he had a sharp jawline that looked like it had been specially carved by God. Overall, I could comprehend that he was handsome.

I couldn't help but look. I was like a hormonal teenager fanning on this man.

While I was looking he cleared his throat which brought me to an alarm. He must have noticed that I was glancing. I felt my cheeks heat up as I looked around the elevator just to divert my attention from the guy beside me. It didn't help a lot for all I could see was my reflection through the metal.

I heard a ding and the elevator door opened. The man exited leaving me inside the elevator alone. As the elevator door closed, I released a deep breath that I didn't know I was holding. Why was I so nervous?

********************

I got into my room and unpacked my stuff. The room was very spacious considering I was the only one sleeping in it.

Once I was done, I jumped into my bed, loving how soft the sheets were. After checking my emails on my phone for a while, I got sleepy and dozed off.