CHAPTER 1 * Introduction *

Start from the beginning

Hi.

My name is Victoria Dunhill. I am nineteen years old and I graduated high school last year. My mother and father are Elizabeth and Marcus Dunhill. My sister is Vanessa Dunhill.

My sister just turned seventeen, so lucky for her, she doesn't have to worry as much about being abducted. But we can never be too sure because we know nothing of these abductions or if the abductors will follow their pattern without fault. All we have are assumptions based on the data that has been collected thus far.

Oh, and by the way, did I mention that I was adopted?

Well, I was.

My biological parents had recently moved to America from an African country, I didn't bother asking which one, for hope of a better life. It's not that I didn't care, I just didn't feel I was ready to handle all of that yet. I got the bare minimum information from my parents.

When they got here, unfortunately, they met with a terrible car accident that took my father's life on impact. My mother held on and was rushed to the ER where they had to perform an emergency C-section surgery because she was eight months pregnant with me. The stress from the operation was too much for her to handle and she succumbed to death before they completely delivered me.

I guess you could call it luck, but my parents, my adoptive parents (they hate that term) would call it a blessing. A blessing that only a few weeks after this unfortunate event, they found me and adopted me.

Did I mention that my biological parents were African?

Well, in case you missed it, they were. Which I guess, makes me qualify as an African American.

Why did my parents adopt a dark-skinned baby?

Well, the only answer I have right now is that they are good people, good people who see past the physical and haven't fallen prey to idiotic stereotypes.

Mom said that when she and dad came to look at babies, I held onto her and wouldn't let go. I guess that must have done the trick cause here I am.

The doctors said that she couldn't have children, and that's why they got me. But over a year later, she got pregnant and that's how Vanessa came to be.

For a couple of my first years, I was oblivious to the difference between my family and I. Well, mostly.

I definitely noticed that my hair was so much harder to handle than Nessa's. But that was it, till I was five that is.

I remember that day vividly.

Victoria at five

The bus had just dropped me off from kindergarten. I ran into the house as I shouted for mom, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy where are you?"

In here sweetie, she called from the kitchen. She stood by the kitchen island feeding Nessa who sat in her baby chair. "Say ah," she tried to make Nessa eat her vegetables but Nessa was having none of it. "Come on, come on Nessa. Just one bite, one bite, come on"

"It's distiting," Nessa said in her baby garble.

"It's not disgusting baby, come on, try it," mom continued.

"No!" she said and shoved the plate away which went flying to the ground, messing mom's shirt up as well.

Mom heaved a sigh and bent down to clean the mess.

"Mommy," I called again and she looked up at me.

"Vickie, take Nessa to the bathroom while I clean this up."