Chapter 15 - Intervention

Emiko pov:

The moment we lunged at Kabuto to attack, he pulled up his hood and summoned snakes to protect himself. He was taking precautions against the Sharingan that Itachi and Sasuke possessed, however, he was unaware that Itachi didn't need him to look into his eyes to cast a Genjutsu on him. Merely pointing a finger would do, and Kabuto had already fallen prey to Itachi the moment their fight began.

I was the first to land a hit on Kabuto, though he blocked before slipping out of the way. He continued to dodge my attacks, as if he was able to read every movement of mine with ease. It took a few moments for me to realize that the snakes Kabuto had summoned were the ones reading my attacks through intuition and helping Kabuto evade me easily.

"It seems like the snakes can sense what we are doing." Itachi too had noticed, and I spared a curious glance at Sasuke for an explanation since he could summon snakes as well.

"Snakes perceive their surroundings by sensing heat and smell through their tongues," Sasuke said.

"You've studied a lot. You've become a snake expert now," Itachi commented and it had me smiling a small smile.

Smirking smugly, Sasuke answered, "Of course I had to, to take down Orochimaru."

"C'mon, boys, we can chat later. I believe we have an opponent to take down at the moment," I said with a smile that Itachi returned.

"But you can't beat me knowing only about snakes," Kabuto mused. "Nature is on my side."

With a hand sign, the size of the snakes he had summoned increased drastically. They were surely no longer for his defense but also for attached that he wished to defeat us with.

"Sasuke, Emiko, be careful. The terrain is to his advantage so be aware of traps," Itachi warned and Sasuke and I nodded in acknowledgement of this words.

The snakes then lunged at us and we dodged, jumping away in different directions. The snakes were persistent and broke through boulders to attack us. Their speeds were incredible and I was certain that I would have been hurt by one of them if it wasn't for Sasuke's Susanoo. It had gripped the snake to hold it back while I took the chance to get out of the way.

When Sasuke lunged at Kabuto and forced his hood off, several snakes attacked us instead, being a substitution.

"Kaminari no Hane! [Blades of lightning]" I said, doing the hand signs.

The blades of lightning chakra I released took care of the snakes much before they could reach me. Two more lunged at me from underground and I was quick to evade them and use a Suiton jutsu, a powerful column of water that crushed them upon contact. Shifting my gaze to Sasuke and Itachi, I sprinted to where they were so we could regroup and stay together to watch each other's back. More than that, though I was confident in my fighting abilities, the two brothers were stronger, and I could enter their Susanoo for protection if things got out of hand.

"All that you took from Orochimaru, and still you're nothing!" Sasuke said with a scoff to Kabuto, who was hiding behind a large boulder I'm the cave we fought in. He was mocking Kabuto,  irritating him and making it a way to slip up. It would give us the advantage if bearing him more easily.

"Sasuke, it seems you underestimate me," came Kabuto's response. His chakra spiked and it has me narrowing my eyes. 

"Something's up with his chakra," I said. "Something's happening and it doesn't feel normal."

"What do you mean by not normal?" Itachi asked.

"I've never felt this kind of chakra before. I don't like the feeling of it." I answered. "Besides, I'm unable to pinpoint his chakra - it's like it's everywhere."