Chapter 10- Denial

Start from the beginning

“Kaylie wait, I – I just want to talk to you”

Without turning around I nodded.

“Could you meet me outside to talk please?”

Whipping around I nodded- I was too tired to fight with him and well, we do have a lot to talk about. Mine as well get it over with- sooner the better right?

Dallas stood up from the table and walked up beside me

“Go get dressed- ill meet you outside”

Go get dressed? Glancing down my cheeks flamed- how did I not realize I was only in my underwear? I made a mad dash for my room- the sound of the boy’s laughter echoing behind me.

****************

Walking out of the house I was still slightly embarrassed- but who cares. Andy has already seen me naked- a ton of times- and well…. At least it was a modest set of underwear… kind of. The shower made me feel human again- my head was only a dull throb.

Walking up to Dallas I took a quick moment to check him out from behind. His perky little behind. He turned around and smiled; he totally caught me in the act. Instead of saying anything he shrugged his shoulders and tugged my hand

“Come on, I want to show you something”

This time I didn’t try to fight him- surprising.

Following him in silence we walked behind the house to the middle of the field. Sunflowers had blossomed beside the forest; it was beautiful.

Dallas let go of my hand and plopped down on the long grass. A soft breeze flowed around me; my hair whisking behind me. The smell of wildflowers invaded my senses.

I sat down by Dallas; stretching my legs out in front of me.

“We have a lot to talk about Kay”

Glancing back at him I watched as the breeze made his unruly hair go every which way; with the sunlight hitting him he looked almost angelic.

“What about Dallas?”

He smiled and shook his head

“Kaylie; you know I ‘am a shifter. Thorcourt is my pack; my land”

I already guess the residents here were all shifters to; it really wasn’t all that surprising. Looking at him again I nodded for him to continue.

“This is my pack, everyone here is my family. I protect all of them- your father, well we tried to control his wolf and for a while it was working. He would shift periodically but we were able to calm him down and get his bloodlust under control”

He wasn’t looking at me anymore; instead looking out towards the trees. My heart was pounding in my chest.

“The last time he shifted- Kay we tried everything but, but you need to know that it was me who took him out. He tried to attack one of the children and I just couldn’t allow it. It was her or him; my wolf reacted instantly.”

His eyes locked with mine; I merely nodded then turned away from his heated gaze.

“Dallas, Dwayne and I never talked. His death is no loss to me; if you feel guilty- please don’t. He’s missed by no one.”

Shrugging I grabbed one of the many dandelions surrounding me. It was the truth I wasn’t mad at Dallas at all, did I feel a little guilty sitting with my father’s killer? Not in the slightest- how can you mourn a stranger?

“Never the less I just felt you should know- I didn’t want you blindsided if someone else told you”

We sat in comfortable silence for a while. A dull ache in the back of my head was the only thing remaining from my awful hangover. The fresh air made me feel one hundred and ten percent better.