Bonus Chapter (10) It's Christmas!

Start from the beginning

"Uncle Alec!" He calls, dropping Jace's hand and fumbling towards me in his clunky boots. Laughing, I bend down and wrap my free arm around my nephew as my parents and Max file through the front door. The house is full, and my dad is carrying armfuls of Chinese take-out. It's loud, hectic, and crazy, but I doubt I'd have it any other way.

Once everyone has eaten, Cleo grabs my hand.

"Daddy, cookies?" She asks, grinning up at me, one tooth missing from her mouth. Magnus and I fought for hours over who got to play tooth-fairy. He won, using extremely strategic bribery. I'll spare you the details.

"Of course, pumpkin. Let's go decorate some cookies." I watch as Magnus adjusts the star that Cleo clumsily placed on top of the tree, as Jace, Max and Simon play with the boys, and as my parents chat while watching some Christmas special on TV. Clary, Mia, Arden and Izzy are waiting at the table.

"She roped you in too, huh?" Clary asks, smiling brightly.

"Always, she always does," I confess, shaking my head fondly as I sit with my daughter in my lap, helping her grab a cookie and some icing.

"I have some news for you guys," Izzy pipes up, glancing up from her intricate Christmas tree cookie.

"What's up?" I swipe a bit of frosting from Cleo's cheek, smiling. Raphael walks through the door, shaking his scarf out on the step before she can answer. Even though it took a lot of work, I guess he's won me over finally. Iz and he have been going steady for about 2 years now, and I guess it's working out. I didn't like the guy at first, but I have to say, he kinda fits right in. And behind him is someone I haven't seen in ages.

Luke enters the house with a smile. He's the one person who has always had Clary's back, and despite not being around the past while, he's kept in touch. Rare visits, barely spanning a few days at a time, or phone calls or letters. He's still clad in his army greens.

"Luke!" Clary jumps up, running over. It's been almost a year since they've last seen each other. And sometimes, we all wondered if Luke would ever come back. He's been serving as long as I can remember, always going back, even if his fight was long over. His arms encompass Clary- the only father she ever knew was him- and everything seems right in the world.

Raphael bends down to place a kiss on Izzy's lips as all the kids rush to greet Luke. I figure I'll let the crowd of family members die down a bit first.

"So what were you going to tell us?" I turn my attention back to Izzy as Raph sits next to her.

"We're telling him now?" He asks, smiling.

"Why not?" Izzy pats his cheek and I feel my face break into a smile. "We're having a baby." Our big, crazy family could always use another member. I stand, bringing my baby sister into my arms and hugging her fiercely. It's about damn time we were all happy.

"I'm so happy for you guys. I'm so excited, how long? Is it a boy or a girl? Names?" The questions roll off of my tongue and I know I'm not giving them time to answer, but I'm just so excited. Izzy laughs and pats my cheek.

"Too early to tell gender. We're just 3 months along. We're so happy, Alec. It's finally happening." Izzy will be a great mom, I know it. It's in her blood, she's the best auntie to my children, to Jace and Clary's son, and she pretty much had a hand in raising all of us, even if she's the second youngest. It's just who she is.

"Am I the first to know?" I can't fight the smile.

"Of course, brother. You'll always be the first to know anything." My heart feels warm, happy, full, and as Cleo comes back into my arms, I bury my face in her hair, breathing in her familiar scent and reminding myself that finally, we've all gotten there.