Chapter 7

*2 years later.*
    It’s been two years since I ‘died’, here’s a recap on what happened. After I left L.A. Damien and I went to paris, and I found out I was pregnant...Obviously with Matt’s kid….So not only am I protecting my own life, as well as Matt and Natalie’s lives, I am now protecting my daughter’s life. During the time I was gone I took a look to see what was on that chip, and it was a lot bigger than just some drug lords running a drug cartel. If this chip got into the wrong hands it could end the world, so naturally I am continuing to hide that as well. When I found out about this and about me being pregnant I almost turned around and went home….But I chose not to, it was better if I didn’t.
    “You okay?” Damien asked me, breaking me out of my thoughts.
    I sighed and nodded, “Just tired, she was up most of the night again.” I told him as my daughter, Makenna started climbing on me making me smile .
    “That sucks. You could go for a nap, while I watch her, if you want.” Damien offered.
    “It’s okay. I was thinking about taking her to the park or something for a bit of fresh air. Sound good?” I asked. Even though it’s been two years, I have changed my appearance and lost my southern accent, Damien still worries about me. He just doesn’t want to take the risk of anyone finding me. Damien looked hesitant but agreed as long as I promised I was only going to the park that was down the road from our apartment. I agreed and grabbed Makenna got her dressed and stuck her into her stroller, then left the apartment and went down to the park. Once we got to the park I sat down on a bench and took Makenna her of her stroller and sat her on my lap. She was talking saying mama then going to say something in gibberish, making me smile happily. To tell you the truth she is the only thing that has been keeping me going.
    “Emily Blackwood?” A british man asked.
    “Who want’s to know?” I asked nervously. God not today. Please don’t let this be the day someone finally figures out I’m alive.
“Deckard Shaw.” The man said. “I’m here to bring you to Mr. Nobody.”
    “Like hell you are.” I told him getting up holding Makenna tightly to me, and turned to run only to see another guy standing there. They were cornering me.
    “We aren’t here to hurt you.” The other guy told me, in a british accent. “We mean you no harm.”  Yeah I’m not taking any chances. I kicked him in the groin and started running.
    “Dom told me to tell you impala.” Deckard Shaw told me. I froze….If he spoke to Dom that means he really isn’t going to hurt me. I turned and looked at him.
    “Why is this Mr.Nobody guy looking for me?” I asked.
    “He said something about you having something he needs.” Deckard answered waving his hand, he turn to the guy I kicked, “Oh get up already you big baby. This is why I’m mom’s favourite.”
    “The chip…”I said under my breath, “Why does he need it?” I asked moving a bit closer to them.
    “Didn’t tell me.” Deckard answered. “Just said that you had something he needed.” I sighed, whatever the reason it must be important for them to want me to come out of hiding. I nodded and walked with them to there car. I had the stroller with me as well as the car seat so I stuck Makenna in her car seat just before we got into the car. When I opened the back door I saw Damien tied up and knocked out which made me slightly panic.
    “Why did you knock him out?” I asked nervously.
    “I didn’t. My idiot brother did.” Deckard responded, “and this is why I said I would do it my bloody self.” I looked between the two before I stuck Makenna in  the car and got in.
    We pulled up to a military base like two days later after getting on a flight and flying back to the states. I got out, Deckard brought the stroller over and  stuck Makenna in it. I am not going to lie, I feel nervous as hell.
    “Let’s go.” Deckard said, as he started walking. I looked over at Damien who nodded and we both followed him inside. The inside was not your average military base, it was high tech. We followed Deckard Shaw to a room where he just walked in.
    “Did you find her?” A guy asked.
    “Find who? Seriously Nobody, what are we doing here? And who were you looking for?” I heard a voice I never thought I would here again, Matt..
    “Yes we found her. Next time send me on my own.” Deckard answered the guy, who I’m guessing is Mr. Nobody, moving out of the way so he wasn’t blocking me from view.
    “I was looking for her, I think you might know her. One Emily Blackwood.” Mr. Nobody said. I looked from the guy to everyone else. Everyone was there, well aside from Mia because she has two little kids that need their mom. Luke Hobbs, Dom, Brian, Letty, Rome, Tej, Elena, Alex, Natalie, and Matt. All of them were in shock, well all except for Dom and Brian.
    “Hi…” I said softly.
    “Greetings from the dead.” Natalie said still in shock.
    “Something like that yeah…” I replied sheepishly.
    “I can’t do this.” Nat said as she walked out quickly. I sighed not looking at anyone else. What did I expect? Well I didn’t expect her to be the first one to leave. I thought it would be Matt.
    “Look if you guys can’t handle this either, or your pissed at me, that’s fine.” I told them then turned to Mr.Nobody and held up the chip, “You wanted this right? Here you go. I’m leaving now.” I told him and turned and walked out of the room with Makenna.
    “Is she mine?” Matt asked as he followed me out. “Why didn’t you come back after we dealt with Braga and Carter?”
    I stopped and turned to him, “Yes she is. And I didn’t come back because I looked at that chip. What’s on there was bigger than Carter and Braga. You would have still been in danger, I would have. Our daughter would have been in the most danger if I came out of hiding.”
    “Can I hold her?” Matt asked hesitantly. I nodded and took her out of the stroller and handed her to him.
    “Her name’s Makenna Rose Toretto…” I told him softly.
    “She gorgeous.” Matt told me, moving to hand her back.
    I took her back and smiled down at her, “Yeah she is.” I agreed. Apparently so did Makenna cause she started laughing and speaking in gibberish.
    “I’ve got to go.” Matt said randomly. “I have things I have to do. I think you’re going to be staying here.” Matt added before walking off. I sighed sadly. Like I said what did I expect? Nothing is ever going to be the same.
    “Things will get better.” Letty told me as she came up behind me and put a hand on my shoulder.
    I turned and looked at her sadly, “Or they never will. And I don’t blame him, or any of you for that matter. I understand if you guys don’t want me around or anything… Just know that I’m sorry and I hate what I did.” I felt tears start to come to my eyes as Makenna reached up and started tapping my cheeks.
    “We don’t hate you. And it’s going to be hard for them, they thought you were dead. Matt’s usually working on your impala and Nat, she’s almost never around any of us. But things will get better. They just found out you’re alive, it’s a shock. Just give Matt at least a few hours for it to sink in.” Letty told me with a sigh.
    Instead of questioning on why she wasn’t in just as much shock I asked with a small smile, “So where am I staying? I need to put her down for a nap.”
    “You’re going to be stay here, with the rest of us. Well everyone but Nat.” Letty told me wrapping her arm around my shoulder and guided me back inside. We walked into a room that was kind of designed like a living room, where everyone but Nat was in. She lead me to a door that opened to a bedroom. I thanked her and closed the door. I made up the blankets so that Makenna wouldn’t roll off the bed then sang her to sleep. I stuck her down on the bed. I laid down beside her just so I could listen to her little snores.
    “How are you doing?” Dom asked from the doorway.
    I looked up at him, “I’ve been better.” I told him quietly so I didn’t wake Makenna.
    “That seems to be the case a lot lately.” Dom responded quietly.
    “What did you expect Dom? We knew that this plan would hurt them...I just didn’t think they would split like that…” I replied sadly.
    “Nothing less. But I don’t regret what we did.” Dom responded, “Nat, I figured that she would split. Matt has done exactly what his mom did when I left her in Dominican. Death can either bring people closer or drive them apart.”
    “I don’t regret that we did it...I regret not coming back sooner…” I replied.
    “I should have came for you.” Dom responded, with a sigh.
    “It’s not your fault...I told you I wasn’t coming back, not for a very long time….” I trailed off.
    “I still could have told you it was safe, or at least seemed to be. But when is it ever safe for this family.” Dom sighed. Makenna started to stir before she woke up crying. I picked her up and started to bounce her on my hip to try and calm her down.
    “Give her to me, you need a break.” Dom told me holding out his hands.
    “It’s okay Dom. I can handle it.” I told him with a small smile.
“Hand her over.” Dom responded when Makenna continued to cry. I sighed and handed her over to Dom. Dom rocked Makenna back and forth, speaking to her in italian, calming her down almost instantly.
“Thanks…” I thanked him tiredly.
    “No problem. I got her, you sleep.” Dom told me before walking out of the room with Makenna.
    “Um...but my baby…” I said to myself at that point. I mean I am really tired. I know she’s safe with them, so maybe I will sleep for a few minutes. I walked over to the bed, moved the blankets around again, laid down and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillows.
    I woke up a few hours later hearing someone talking to someone else. I opened my eyes and saw Matt sitting on the floor with Makenna and smiled.
    “Have a good sleep?” Matt asked quietly, not looking away from Makenna.
    “Yeah…” I said softly, “Matt I’m so sorry…”
    “Yeah.” Matt replied.
    I felt the tears come to my eyes, “As soon as I found out I was pregnant I swear I nearly came back….But I just couldn’t take the chance…”
    “Yeah.” Matt muttered, not looking at me once.
    “Will you please say something besides yeah. Hell you could even yell at me, I don’t care just please say something.” I begged as tears fell from my eyes.
    “What do you want me to say? Even after all this time I still love you? Cause you know I do. Say that everything will be okay? I can’t.” Matt snapped before calming Makenna down.
    “Why? Why do you still love me after all this time? After all that I have done?” I asked looking at him while wiping my tears away.
    “Cause everything about you calls out to me, because you were the one person I could count on completely, or at least I thought I could count on completely.” Matt responded.
    “What did you expect me to do? I’m sorry that I thought, no that I knew what I was doing was the right thing. I’m sorry that I hurt you. Okay. I hate myself for hurting you like that.” I snapped.
    “Look, I get why you did it. What hurts the most is that you never came back and wouldn’t have come back. Or let me know that I had a kid.” Matt replied.
    “I was going to come back! I was going to tell you! I swear.” I exclaimed then sighed as Makenna started crying. I got up and picked her up and started to rock her in my arms soothing her.
    “I will leave you two be.” Matt mumbled as he got off the floor and headed for the door.
    “Matt...Please don’t leave…” I begged as I felt myself trying not to cry.
    “Okay.” Matt replied quickly, not leaving the room but not moving away from the door. Once Makenna was calm I stuck her back on the floor with her toys. I sat down beside her and played with her.
    Makenna looked over at Matt, “Dada.” She said then started speaking in baby gibberish at him.
    “Hey, mija.” Matt responded with a smile as he sat down across from her. “Is that so? I didn’t know that.” I smiled watching him have a full conversation with her. This is honestly why I love him...But things aren’t okay right now, and it might be a while before they are...So I probably shouldn’t say those words just yet.
    “What?” Matt asked with a small chuckle. “She tells very interesting things.”
    I smiled and shook my head, “Nothing.” Then looked down at Makenna who was looking between both of us and continued talking.
    “She’s talkative.” Matt said with a sigh.
    “Yeah...I think she just likes the sound of her own voice… Or she likes trying to make up words, whichever the reason I love listening to her babble.” I replied, still looking down at Makenna.
    “You should bring her out to the others. I think they would like listening to her.” Matt told me, not looking at me.
    I took a quick glance at him then back at Makenna, “You wanna go meet the others baby?” I asked her and she squealed in excitement. I smiled and stood up, picking her up. Before we walked out of the room I looked at Matt, “Will things ever be the same between us again? Or will it always be like this?” I asked softly.
    “Things can be the same but that doesn’t mean that things will stay like this. They will probably get better. It just takes work.” Matt answered quietly.
    I nodded and sighed, “Okay…” I replied softly then turned opened the door and walked out to the living room area. I introduced everyone to Makenna and sat down with her on the floor.
    “She’s adorable.” Brian told me, smiling as Makenna told another story.
    I smiled proudly, “Yeah… my little story teller.”
    “And she tells such interesting stories.” Brian cooed at Makenna.
    “Yes she does.” I replied laughing a bit. Makenna moved to stand but almost fell. I caught her and helped her stand and smiled brightly at her.
    “She cute.” Letty told me with a smile, “You sure she’s my sons?”
    I laughed and nodded, “100% Positive.”
    “Uh, must be your genes then.” Letty responded.
    I laughed, “I don’t think so. I think she looks more like her daddy then me. She only has my blue eyes.”
    “That she does.” Dom said with a smile. I smiled and took a glance up at Matt who was smiling down at Makenna. A few hours later, it was about ten o’clock at night and I decided it was time to stick Makenna to bed. I picked her up and told her to say night to everyone then walked off to my room. I changed her into some pajamas and then sat down on my bed with her in my arms, and grabbed her bottle, giving it to her while she held it and I sang her to sleep. Once she was asleep I stuck the bottle on the nightstand but didn’t move her out of my arms. Besides I know I’m not going to sleep, I took that Nap, so now I’m no longer tired… I guess I am just going to lay here with her. I started moving around the blankets again and stuck her in the spot I made so that she wouldn’t fall off the bed and sighed. God why is this so hard for me? How did my life go from simple bullying to me being a mom and trying not to get killed and hoping I don’t fuck everything up?
    “You okay?” Matt asked quietly, from the doorway.
    “Just wondering at what point did I actually became a huge problem.” I replied quietly then added, “Guess my mom was right.”
    “You weren’t and aren’t a problem.” Matt responded.
    “I sure feel like it…” I replied.
    “Well you aren’t.” Matt repeated.
    “What makes you say that?” I asked softly.
    “A lot of things.” Matt answered vaguely.
    “That was probably the most vague thing you have said to me ever.” I replied, trying not to laugh.
    “Yeah.” Matt whispered with a shrug.
    “Would it be wrong of me to ask you to stay with me tonight?” I asked softly.
    “I’ll stay.” Matt said sitting on the floor.
    “Okay….You don’t have to stay on the floor…. I mean there is enough room up here on the bed….I mean only if you want to…” I stuttered out.
    “I’ll be fine.” Matt responded, giving a weak smile. I nodded and laid down. This is so painful… All I want to do is kiss him, and tell him I love him….But I can’t because things aren’t okay right now.
    I woke up feeling Makenna crawl on top of me and start to hit me in the face. I opened my eyes and looked at her.
    “Well good morning to you too angel.” I greeted her. She squealed happily, which caused Matt to sit up and look around only to see it was Makenna.
    “Well at least someone is a morning person.” Matt muttered.
    “It varies. Some morning’s she’ll wake up like this, other’s she’s screaming. There is nothing in between.” I told him softly then added, “Sorry that she woke you..”
    “Was already awake.” Matt mumbled as he stood up and stretched. 
    “Oh..Okay…” I replied as I got up with Makenna and grabbed the diaper bag, “Um.. I’m gonna go change her..” I told him then walked into the bathroom that was attached to my room. I quickly changed her and walked back out to see Matt was still in the room.
    “I’ll take her out with me so you can change.” Matt said awkwardly, not looking at me.
    “Um.. Yeah okay… Thanks..”  I replied just as awkwardly as I handed Makenna over to him. Matt nodded as he took Makenna and left the room. I sighed in slight frustration. Why am I frustrated? Probably because it’s just so damn annoying that when I’m in a room with him I feel butterflies, but then everything just get’s awkward once we actually have a conversation. I just don’t deserve him anymore…. I got changed and walked out of the room and into the living room where I saw everyone talking, Letty, Dom, and Luke were talking to Makenna as she was telling yet another one of her stories. I walked over to a kitchen area and started looking for something to eat.
    “There’s french toast in the oven.” Alex told me as he came into the kitchen.
    “Oh. Um thanks.” I replied awkwardly as I found a plate and pulled the french toast out of the oven.
    “Welcome.” Alex muttered as he opened the fridge and pulled out a water before shutting it.
    I put some french toast on the plate and asked, “How much do you hate me?”
    “I don’t hate you. I would do the same, expect for I wouldn’t come back.” Alex responded, looking at me.
    I sighed, “I wonder if I didn’t have Makenna, if I would have come back….Or if I would have just stayed hidden, and hopped Matt would move on and Natalie would get better…”
    “Matt wouldn’t move on, you and I both know that. Nat, she’s just closing herself off, nothing any of us can do about it.” Alex replied.
    “I know…..It breaks my heart seeing her do that….Sometimes I wish I never showed up in L.A. in the first place… Things would have been a lot simpler.” I told him with a sigh, no longer interested in my food.
    “She would have closed herself off a lot sooner, Emily.” Alex told me.
    “So either way I end up fucking things up? Great…” I replied then mumbled, “I really am the screw up in my family.”
    “You’re not a screw up. You coming to LA helped Nat a lot. She’s just being her. If you didn’t come to LA, Nat would have drove out to see you and brought you back with her.” Alex responded, leaning up against the counter.
    “I just wish I could turn back the clock and stop all of this from happening….But I can’t..” I told him, as I looked down at the floor.
    “Yeah that’s not going to do anything. All it would do is cause something else to happen.” Alex replied plainly. I nodded and walked off back into my room and into the bathroom so I could just let all the emotions out. I started balling my eyes out… I feel like I don’t belong but at the same time that I do belong. I want things to go back as they were, but I know that isn’t happening. I sat down on the floor and cried into my hands.
    “Um… Are you okay? And are you dressed?” Matt asked hesitantly.
    “Y-yes I’m dressed. I-i’m F-fine..” I told him trying to control my sobbing.
    “You sure?” Matt asked as he opened his eyes. “You look anything but fine.”
    “Weren’t you the one who once said that people who say they are fine are usually aren’t?” I asked looking up at him, then shook my head, “Don’t worry about it…” I told him sniffling as I pulled my knees to my chest and buried my head into my arms.
    “Yes I did. But if you’re going to bite my head off I’ll leave you to be moody.” Matt responded turning away from me.
    “I’m sorry….I’m not trying to bite your head off…” I whispered loud enough for him to hear me.
    “Yeah.” Matt mumbled, “Whatever you say.”
    “You’re seriously not going to forgive me for anything are you?” I asked with a frustrated sigh.   
    “Forgiving takes time.” Matt responded crossing his arms after he tried opening the door, only to find out it was locked. “I forgave you four months after you ‘died’, I can’t forgive you for lying to me yet.”
    “Great…” I sighed, “So tell me something, if the rolls were reversed. If you knew that the only way to keep everyone you cared about safe, was to fake your own death, would you have done it?” I asked.
    “Yes. But I wouldn’t expect anyone to forgive me.” Matt responded, “And there wouldn’t be faking.”
    “Oh believe me Matt, I nearly decided me dying for real would have been better.” I told him sternly as I got up and grabbed a cloth to wipe my face. Matt just turned away from me again and slided down the wall and sat on the floor. “And I didn’t expect anyone to forgive. Honestly I didn’t expect anyone to want me around anymore. I wasn’t even expecting to stay here. But you deserve to get to know your daughter, and right now that is the only reason why I am still here. Not to mention I leave with her I put her at risk and I won’t do that.”
    “No one hates you.” Matt responded quietly, “I’ve spent the last two fucking years thinking you were dead, I can’t just let go of that as quickly as they can.”
    “And I have apologised to you a bunch of times since I have been here. I get that you can’t let that go. I wouldn’t. But I wish you would stop treating me like I’m a fucking demon from hell. I mean for god sakes you said you still love me, but you don’t act like it….” I snapped as I turned and looked at him.
    “How do you expect me to express that I love you when the only thing I’ve felt in the last two years is pain.” Matt snapped.
    “What do you think I felt? Do you think the last two years for me have been a walk in the park? No, they weren’t. I hated myself. Correction, I do hate myself. And the pain I felt when I was gone, was because I left. I wanted to come back sooner. I did. Like I said I’m sorry.” I told him.
    “There’s a difference. You knew I was still alive, I thought you were dead. I buried your casket. You have no idea how much pain I was in.” Matt told me harshly.
    I shook my head, “I don’t know why I am even bothering. Like I have said over a hundred times, I’m sorry.” As I walked over to the door and started banging on it, then muttered, “it would have been better if I let them kill me.”
    Matt spun me around and pressed me into the wall roughly, “Don’t you ever say that again.”
    “Why not? I can’t handle knowing you are going to be pissed at me for the rest of my life, or have you use this against me if we ever get into a fight. If I died you would have eventually gotten over me.” I told him, feeling the tears coming back again.
    “Don’t you realise, I’m not pissed, I’m hurt. I could never move on.” Matt responded rolling his eyes as he let go of me and moved away from me. “I’m not low enough to use something like that in a fight. If you thought I would, you obviously don’t know me.”
    “No, Matt I don’t know you. Not anymore...Let’s face it, you don’t know me anymore either.” I told him softly.
    “Did I even know you back then?” Matt mumbled quietly before sitting in silence. I stood there in silence. I can’t believe he just said that…
    I let out an annoyed sigh, “I can’t deal with this anymore… I’m going for a shower.” I said and walked over to the shower and turned it on. Without warning I started taking my clothes off then got into the shower, closing the shower door behind me. Fifteen minutes later I was suddenly pressed into the shower wall and had lips on mine. Of course I knew whose lips they were considering Matt was the only one in the room. I wrapped my arms around his neck deepening the kiss. He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist…..
    Forty five minutes later we got out of the shower. I wrapped a towel around my body and sighed happily as I felt Matt kiss my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my waist.
    “Do we have to go back to reality?” Matt asked quietly. “I’m quite liking this…… I’m sorry…” 
    “I’m sorry too….And sadly yes we do…. I know a little girl who isn’t going to be happy much  longer if we don’t get back to her….” I replied softly as I turned in his arms, placing my hands on his bare chest.
    “Aw….. Okay…… Guess that means I have to get dressed then.” Matt responded pulling away from me.
    “Again, sadly yes.” I replied biting  my lip and smiled. Matt gave me a slight smile as he picked his clothes up off the floor and got dressed. I got dressed quickly, then grabbed my hairbrush, luckily for me since I had to change my appearance I cut my hair shorter so it was easier to brush. As I was brushing my hair I had the one question in my head that I was afraid of asking…
    “Are we okay? Or….” I trailed off looking down at the counter.
    “We’re okay. Just don’t do it again.” Matt answered.
    I turned and faced him, “I won’t… I promise.” Matt leaned down and kissed me. I smiled and kissed him back softly. Then pulled back slowly, “We should see if that door is unlocked now.” He smiled and moved over to the door, turned the handle and it actually opened.
    “Guess we’re allowed out.” Matt told me turning to look at me, rolling his eyes.
    I laughed, “C’mon. My separation anxiety is starting to kick in.” I told him as I walked out of the bathroom then stopped. I quickly turned around and gave him another quick kiss, “I love you…” I whispered deciding to take a chance. I know he said we’re good, but this is the first time we would have actually said those three words. 
    “I love you too.” Matt responded quietly. I smiled softly then we walked out of the room and back out to the living room area. I walked over to Makenna and pulled her into my arms happily. Everything now just felt right. That is until I got a phone call. Isn’t funny how everything changes as soon as I get a phone call from an unknown caller. I stuck my phone on speaker.
    “Hello?” I asked.
    “You have something that belongs to me.” A female voice said.
    “Cipher I presume.” I replied not sounding impressed. I looked at Dom and the other’s who instantly got tense.
    “Here’s what you are going to do, you are going to give me that chip.” She told me.
    “And if I don’t?” I asked.
    “Your daughter is adorable. I would really hate to have to take her from you.” She threatened. My jaw clenched as I looked down at Makenna who was falling asleep in my arms, “You have twenty-four hours to deliver me that chip. You have to come alone, or I will shoot you and this time your death will be real. You don’t deliver the chip, I take your daughter.” Then she hung up the phone. I hung up my phone and turned it off then looked at everyone as I snuggled Makenna closer to me.
    “She won’t live this time.” Nat said quietly from behind me, in a dead tone of voice. “She’s a dead woman walking.”
    “But how do we lure her out? My guess is that she A) is definitely one hundred steps ahead of us, and B) has definitely hacked into the security system by now and has seen where we are, and will see if we try and make a move against her.” I asked.
    “We don’t.” Nat responded in her dead tone, “Give her the chip.”
    “Are you crazy? No. No way in hell am I giving her that chip. Not unless you want her to be able to control everything from turning the power off in the states, to being able to set off nuclear missiles at any moment.” I replied.
    “It was her’s. She already knows how.” Nat pointed out rolling her eyes. “Do you have a better idea on how to save your life and your kids?” She asked in a snarky tone.
    “Yeah she know’s how. But she is unable to do anything unless she has the chip. We give her this chip and I won’t be saving my daughter’s life, I would be signing her death sentence along with the rest of the states.” I snapped.
    “Just set up the deal. You won’t be going by yourself. I’ll be there.” Nat told me in a dead tone, as she turned and walked out.
    “She did hear the part about if I don’t come alone I’ll be shot and this time actually die, right? Or was that just me?” I asked not calling Cipher back yet.
    “Natalie won’t let that happen.” Alex told me quietly, “She probably just wants this over with.” Alex sighed. “Are we allowed to go out or is this our prison?”
    “Go a head. Just be careful and don’t go far.” Brian told him. Alex walked out of the room. I sighed and called Cipher back . We made the deal then hung the phone up. I walked off to put Makenna to bed since she was just passing out in my arms. I laid her down on the bed and sang quietly as she fell asleep then laid down beside her.
    “We won’t let anything happen this time. This time we won’t lose any of us.” Matt said quietly as he wrapped his arms around me from behind.
    “I’m just worried about her….I don’t want anything to happen to her…” I replied looking at Makenna the entire time.
    “If anyone messes with Makenna, they won’t survive the first time they see me.” Matt responded in a deadly tone.
I nodded then sighed, “If something goes wrong…..” I trailed off.
    “Then we will deal with it as a family.” Matt responded firmly.
    “I…..I don’t want to leave again, Matt…. And I don’t want to…..” I couldn’t bring myself to say the words.
    “And you won’t.” Matt replied tightening his grip on me. I nodded as I turned slightly so I was laying on my back and looked up at him.
    “I think I’m done with cell phones….Every time I get a call on them it’s usually bad news or someone threatening me…” I told him trying to lighten the mood a bit.
    “That can be annoying.” Matt responded.
    “It is very annoying. Like I think I rather the telemarketers, or a phone call saying I won a free trip to Fiji.” I replied.
    “When this is done we can go anywhere you want.” Matt told me.
    I looked him dead in the eyes and told him seriously, “After this I just want to go home.”
    “Then we will go to your home.” Matt responded giving a tiny, weak smile.
    “Unless you don’t want to go home?” I asked tilting my head.
    “I think your home and my home are different.” Matt mumbled.
    “My home, is honestly anywhere you and Makenna are. Whether we are living in the house in L.A. or living on the streets in Brazil.” I told him, cupping his face, lightly brushing his cheek with my thumb.
    “I don’t live in LA anymore.” Matt informed me.
    “Wow… Well I’m sticking to my previous statement….But where do you live now?” I asked curiously.
    “Puerto Rico.” Matt told me.
    “Wow….Okay….At least you didn’t say you lived in Chicago, or Bon Temps….” I replied with a smile.
    “What’s wrong with Chicago? Natalie pretty much lives there.” Matt questioned looking a little confused.
    “Chicago has to many problems….What do you mean Nat pretty much lives in Chicago?” I asked confused as all hell as I dropped my hand to my side.
    “She left LA. She’s usually either in Chicago or Hawaii.” Matt answered with a shrug.
    “How do you know this if you live all the way in Puerto Rico?” I asked.
    “Nat has come to Puerto Rico to make sure I was doing okay a few times. Calls me once in awhile to tell me she’s still alive.” Matt shrugged.
    “What about her and Alex?” I asked. I’m starting to feel bad again….I shouldn’t have done what I did.
    “They aren’t together. And it has nothing to do with what happen. Okay, maybe. Mostly they just…. Well someone that Alex used to… Date… Showed up… And well..” Matt told me awkwardly. “I don’t know everything that happened, just what I’ve picked up.”
    “Oh…” Was all I could bring myself to say.
    “Yeah.” Matt mumbled.
    “Do you want me to come with you to Puerto Rico?” I asked suddenly.
    “Yeah.” Matt answered muttering. “I think you’ll like it there.”
    “Okay…” I said just above a whisper.
    “You should probably get some sleep.” Matt told me after looking at the time, pulling away.
    “You’re not going to stay?” I asked softly.
    “Uh…. If you want me to…” Matt answered.
    I sighed, “Only if you want to...I’m not going to force you.” I told him, my tone sounding as though I was giving up.
    “If you want me to.” Matt told me rubbing the back of his neck, not sure what to do. I sighed and grabbed his arm pulling him back down to me and kissed him softly.
    Pulling away I softly said, “Yes I want you to stay.” Matt gave me a smile and laid back down. I smiled, I turned so I was facing Makenna, and he wrapped his arms around me keeping me close to him. Almost as though if he loosened his arms I would vanish. Then I fell asleep.