Intro

Growing up in a small town, all you want is to hurry up and get the hell out. Especially growing up in the a small town in the countryside of Louisiana. Bon Temps, Louisiana that’s where I live. Population 2,744. Yup one of the smallest towns in Louisiana. My Daddy is in the army, and Momma, well she’s the mayor of this small town and has been since I was five years old, I’m eighteen now, and only have a few friends, all of which are older then me and I only know them because of my job. My one best friend Natalie, she was the closest to my age. She’s twenty-one  now and lives in L.A. which is awesome because she got out of this shitty town. But it also sucks because she use to help me out with all sorts of social stuff that teens my age do, like go to parties and have fun. Now all I do is work and avoid people like the plague, which is hard since I work as a waitress in a small bar and grill called The Ground Floor Pub, which let me tell you, the dumber you act the more tips you get. I’m glad I have this job, cause hopefully I can make enough money and get out of this shitty town, and away from my annoying brothers. I have an older brother, Tyler who is the same age as Natalie and a younger brother, Jesse who is a horny fourteen year old. I’m the middle child which means I get ignored a lot, only by Momma though. Daddy is more interested in what’s going on in my life, rather then my brothers probably cause I’m his only baby girl. That’s what makes it harder with him being in the army, not only do I have to worry about whether I am gonna see him again, but also... what happens after he’s gone?
      "God is it ever warm out there today.” I said as I walked into work. I walked into the back stuck my stuff in my cubby, stuck my apron on and walked out of the room and started working. It normally doesn’t get busy till later on in the night. Since it is summer I work afternoon, so from about two till about ten, so from about seven until closing this place gets busy. On the upside I always get a lot of tips, I might even have enough to leave soon. I want to surprise Nat in L.A. but the thing is I don’t want to be coming back. So I’m trying to get enough so I can get by until I get another job out there.
    “Em, you can leave early tonight. We ain’t that busy.” My boss, and owner of this place, Seth told me. Seth was friends with my daddy, so when I told him I was lookin for a job, he hired me right on the spot, though Momma don’t like it.
    “Thanks, but it’s fine Seth. I like being here. Send one of the others home.” I told him, knowing that the other girls are either in college or have kids to get home too.
    “I just thought you would like to since I know you have been walking to and from here and I don’t really feel comfortable with you walking home at night.” He replied walking over to the table I was cleaning.
    “I don’t mind it, I like walking home in the dark. It’s peaceful.” I told him with a small smile as I walked off with the dishes.
    “Well if she ain’t gonna take it, I will.” One of the other waitress’s, Veronica said. Veronica has two kids of own, they’re eight and ten. They are just the cutest things. I babysit them from time to time when I’m not working here.
    “Alright, alright. Veronica, you can leave early.” Seth told her, sounding amused. Veronica smiled and thanked him. She quickly grabbed her stuff, gave me a hug and left. And sadly after that it got busy. There was only one other waitress there so we split the tables in half.
It was finally time for me to go. Luckily the waitress who works the night shift from ten till two showed up right on time. I grabbed my stuff, said goodnight to everyone and left. As I was walking I felt like I was being followed, and when I turned to look sure enough I was by a bunch of people I graduated with, that want nothing more than to torment me. They are the big reason why I want to leave, I just want to start over, but starting over in this town is like trying to pet a horse without it knowing, you just get kicked in the stomach. I tried to ignore them but I could hear what they were saying about me.
“Oh you think she’s gonna go make a pretty penny on third street.” I heard Maria say. Third street is where all the hookers go for business.
“Probably, it’s the only way she could get any.” Maria’s minions giggled. See this all started at the beginning of my senior year of high school, or rather just before it started. I went to a party, which anyone who knows me knows I normally don’t go. But I thought why not. What’s the worst that could happen? Well if someone told me that I would get drunk enough for people to not believe that I was raped by the quarterback, I would have stayed home. But of course how is anyone suppose to know that was gonna happen. Sadly it did, but nobody believed me. Everyone said I was drunk, that I probably gave consent and don’t remember, but I wasn’t that drunk. I did and still do remember. Anyways rumors were made and now I am a huge skank who works on third street.
     “Hey slut we’re talking to you!” Maria yelled as she forced me to turn and look at her.
      “Am I really the slut here?” I asked while I took a glance at there clothes. Well this caused Maria to go bright red and scream in rage and I knew what was coming next. It happens every two weeks, she finds me, says something to which I give some sort of witty retort and she loses all control and her and her minions would beat the hell out of me. Then they would leave me alone, but were always watching me to see when I would fully recover and then they would do it again. And I can’t do anything about it, cause her daddy is rich, and my Momma is the Mayor, so if people found out that the mayor's daughter was getting into fights, that would ruin our reputation, at least that’s what momma always says when I show up bloody and hurt. They knocked me to the ground and continued to kick the shit out of me, until they had enough then they left, laughing like they were just so much better. Once they were gone I pushed myself up and staggered home, my arm over my ribs. Yup definitely broke a few of those this time. I got home and headed straight for the bathroom so I could get a better look at myself.
       “Emily! Why is there mud all over the floor?!” I heard Momma yell. I didn’t even bother trying to answer her so she walked to the bathroom and opened the door without saying anything. “Again?!” She exclaimed once she saw me.
I rolled my eyes, “I’ll clean it up.” I told her as I carefully pulled my shirt down and walked out of the bathroom.
    “Emily, I can’t deal with this anymore!” Momma yelled at me.
    “You can’t deal with this?! I have broken ribs, a black eye and a split lip. And you can’t deal with this?!” I exclaimed as I turned to face her, which made me nearly fall over in pain.
    “Emily you brought this on yourself! We have a reputation in this town we need to up hold!” She yelled. I nearly started crying, not because of the physical pain I was in, but because of what she said. This wasn’t my fault. “I can’t have you here causing problems.”
    “What are you saying?” I asked as tears started running down my face.
    “I’m saying I want you out. Tonight.” She said, and walked off. I slowly started bringing myself up the stairs, luckily no matter how much I hated them, my brothers heard everything and came to help me up the stairs.
    “Em, you need to go to the hospital.” Tyler told me softly as Jesse opened my bedroom door. We walked in and they sat me down on my bed carefully.
    “No. I ain’t going to the hospital. Just grab me that box over there.” I told him and pointed at the box on my dresser. Tyler grabbed it and handed it to me. I grabbed it and opened it to reveal a bunch of first aid supplies. I grabbed a tenser bandage and pulled my shirt off. “Can you help me?” I asked Tyler who nodded and started wrapping it. I flinched a few times but not much, at this point I am used to the pain. Once he was done I grabbed a new shirt and put it on then grabbed my suitcase and stuffed as much of my stuff as possible in there, with the help of my brothers who kept trying to protest saying they would talk to momma and what was dad gonna think. I just didn’t respond. What was daddy gonna think? What will he say? That is if he is even coming home anytime soon. Once I got my suitcase packed I went to grab it but Tyler grabbed it for me.
    “I’ll take it. But where are you gonna go?” He asked.
    “As far away from here as possible. I’ll call you as soon as I find a place, and I’ll only tell you, and when Daddy get’s home you can tell him where I am and why I’m there.” I told him.
    “Then your gonna need these.” He replied and handed me the keys to daddy’s 1967 chevy impala that was sitting in the garage. It was supposed to be Tyler’s, he gave it to him after they fixed it up.
    “Are you sure?” I asked, not grabbing the keys. He took my hand and stuck the keys in my hand.
    “I’m sure, you deserve it more then me.” He replied. I smiled sadly at him and we walked out of my room down the stairs all way down to the basement, which is where the garage is. Tyler stuck my bag in the back while Jesse went and opened the garage door. Then both of them walked over and hugged me. Tyler told me he would tell Seth what happened for me so I could just leave. I smiled and thanked them both then got into the car and drove off. L.A. here I come