IMAGINE: Vronsky falling in love with you

You watch the dancers at the party while sitting in a corner all by your lonesome, which exactly how you like it. No attention from anyone. No looks. No glances. No anything. You smile in content.

     You really do hate parties but when your aunt asked you to come with her to this one, you couldn't refuse her. Literally. She practically had to drag you here.

     You take sip of your drink when you feel a pair of eyes on you. You stiffen slightly and casually look around the room. Your eyes stop when you see a handsome, young cavalry officer staring at you, a slight smile on his face. You quickly avert your eyes, blushing. In less than a minute, he's politely pushing his way past people. When you realize he's coming near you, your heart starts to pound nervously. This party has suddenly gotten very interesting. When he stands next to you, you look up and smile at him. He smiles down at you and takes your hand. Bending, he places a light kiss on top of it, his eyes never leaving yours.

     "Sir." You greet, nodding.

     "My lady." He murmurs, straightening. I don't believe we have had the pleasure of meeting. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky."

     Your eyebrows raise slightly at his fancy title. "I'm Y/N L/N." You say awkwardly, your title sounding so lame compared to his. Vronsky stills and his eyes narrow, not in suspicion, but with curiosity. He seems amused by you, not a duchess or countess, but, really, a nobody.

     "My lady Y/N." He says, nodding.

     "Oh, no, I'm not a lady, just Y/N will do." You laugh softly.

      "Then only if you will call me Vronsky. Most everyone does."

     "All right." You smile.

"Do you not dance, Y/N?"

     "Ah, no. I mean, I do—I can dance. But I prefer not to."

     "You're not fond of it?"

     "Oh, no, I love to dance! I just don't like the attention that comes with it. People staring at you just waiting for you to mess up..." You give a little shudder and then smile. "I do believe that's one of my worst nightmares."

     Vronsky laughs. "I was going to ask you for a dance but now that you've just said that, it's made me self-conscious."

     You grin up at him. "Sorry."

    He waves a hand in the air, dismissing your comment. He's silent for a few seconds and then he stares at you.

     "What?" You frown.

     "You know, there's an empty balcony through those double doors." He says, nodding to the doors across the room. "No one goes at there. We-we could dance there. We'd still be able to hear the music." He offers. He holds out his hand. You slowly smile and put your hand in his.

———

The double doors close behind Vronsky and you. He was right: you can still hear the music out here. There's a crescent moon in the cloudy night sky. You can't stop smiling. Vronsky moves one arm around your back and pulls you near him. You both sway to the music for a minute, getting the feeling of it. Then Vronsky sweeps you away, both of you dancing the length of the balcony and then back again.

     He smiles down at you. "You're a wonderful dancer, Y/N."

     "And you're a wonderful partner." You comment. He and you talk as you dance the night away. Time flies quickly and, before you know it, the music stops. When it stops, so does Vronsky. Both of you are breathless, arms still around each other.