Part 4

Death is like violent streaks of wind gushing through the trajectory of an aircraft. It imposes itself above you, you can only feel it. It moves you. It shakes you. At times death is like claws, or rather beaks of vultures as they delve into fresh meat of an emaciated child somewhere in the horn of Africa.

The beaconing fragrance of hope it takes away. It rips the rhythm in your heart. At times, you hold it in your hands. Tighten your grip as the urge to choke life from death brew. Tell me, can you really suffocate death?
But death in itself is wholesomely unpredictable... ooh how sweet!

My grip on her neck loosens not. Tears still sprout from her eyes. She stares at me as if I open the gates into the purgatory. She's distastefully amazed at what I have become.

(2 months ago,)

I was incidentally made the CEO of an emerging multinational financial company in town. Money was a tick tock away from me. So, I made some calls to friends, family, work colleagues and dignitaries from the ministry of finance and foreign affairs; and held a party at the Roosevelt club.

The atmosphere grew foggy with smoke of cigars and cigarettes which blended with the jazz music that played on in the background. Glasses of whisky made us tingle as we hurled cheers at the top of our lungs. Laughter of grown men in their drunken stupor etched across the table I had made myself comfortable on. I stuck to my usual Jack Daniels. At the time, I laced it with some William Lawson, set my cigar on my teeth and stood.

" ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please."

The music stopped. Silence played an orchestra for me. Eyes glared towards me.

"This is our world. This is my moment. Drink whatever you want. All tabs on me. Cheers. Let the music play and have fun"

“Am I a prying fool stultified with pride? Or am I a lonely bastard lurking in the comforts of thy wind, constantly moving with tides?” I wondered queerly to myself.

"hey buddy. There's someone I need you to meet." a man's voice sternly spoke as a hand tapped my back.

"ooh Dave it’s you again. What plot do you have for me this time round?"

Dave. Hhmmm... Dave was a longtime foe back at my campus days, still he is. He is the guy who in every situation stood to benefit from my demise even if it never concerned him. He wanted the life I had. The glamour. We both had money from the dirty hustle of peddling drugs around hostels and beyond. We were never partners. Rather competitors. But I was classy. The ladies’ man. On graduation eve, I drove his girl Lucy crazy, who later became my wife. I wasn't short of choices. I was just the guy who had it all but never complained about it. Dave loathed me for it. I hurt him. Bullets rumbled and I had to lay low. Yes, I did, till today at the Roosevelt club.

"come on buddy, is this a nice way to Embrace your old-time friend!?"

He spoke in the tone of a serpent as he leaned to hug me. I didn't decline, but to hide any sense of insecurity I felt around him. I wasn't afraid of him. I'm afraid of nobody. Only afraid of the hell fires, for at times I feel I’m geared to it.

Dave hasn't changed much. He's still rugged as he used to be. A calculating risk taker. A niggah who gives up not. He was accompanied by a lady. I did not have a clear view of her at the moment. But how I’d enjoy to stare at her shadows.

"meet my friend Trina".

Dave finally introduced us. That's when I thought about my wife saying she was too tired to attend the party. I understood her. She was expectant anyway.

"hi Trina. My name is Jake"

"nice to meet you Jake."

"damn it! I was going to steal this woman from Dave tonight." I thought to myself.

“I’ll let you guys catch up for a while. Let me make an emergency call.” Said Dave as he geared to the washrooms.

Me: so… Trina, care for a drink?

Trina: sure do. I need to quench my thirst.

Me: join me in the high table. It’ll be fun.
Trina: (smiling slyly) let’s find out.

That's how I met Trina. The bitch whom I’m about to kill. One thing led to the next; and here we are. That night, Dave never came back for Trina. He vanished in the washroom.

      *******
She's breathing in spasms. I can't help but wonder if Dave played a part in this. Was Trina part of something larger than the baby she claims to be mine? Was she part of syndicates hired by Dave to finish me off? If her part was to infect me, then she already did. She's got my baby, now I’m trapped. Or am I paranoid?

I loosen my grip from her throat.

"did Dave play a part in this!!??" I curiously ask expecting some sort of a no!

"tell me or I’ll kill you, right now!"

She drapes her eyelashes over her eyes to dry her tears with, as she speaks in whispers.

"Dave did it."

"did what aah!!?" I jumped in

"he planned all of this!"

"for how long!?"

"since you got out of campus"

"but that was 6years ago."

I'm trying to do the math.

"why didn't you tell me this before!!?"

"I couldn't, Lucy knew about it all along"

"Lucy?? My wife??"

"yes. There's so much you don't know Jake"
****************