VII

Chapter VII

        Serenity

        We're in the training room again today. With more targets. Except this time we'll be throwing knives instead of shooting guns. The point of this exercise, I think, is to aid us in having good aim. We stand in our usual initiate line, in front of our instructors. Behind them, lies a table supplied with metal knives. They differ from the knives we used in the kitchen back home.

        Home. That same ache of the heart that occurs when I think of my parents, is here now. Amity isn't my home anymore. I can never go back to it or my parents...ever. The image of them clapping for me at the Choosing Ceremony is tattooed in my brain. They looked so happy. And just like a real tattoo, that image is never fading into the depths of my subconscious.

        A single tear lies on the corner of my eye, but I wipe it away with my thumb. Get a grip, I scold myself. I chose Dauntless for a reason--to be free and live my way. I need to start acting like them. Meaning I can't cry a river whenever my parents or my former home penetrates my mind.

        "After tomorrow's fights, stage one will have been completed." Tris begins. "Today, you will perfect your aiming skills by throwing knives at the targets. Grab three knives and watch Four demonstrate the proper technique." Everyone dashes towards the table and takes three knives for themselves, knocking a few to the ground in the process.

        The sharp object feels unnatural to my hands. I've only held knives used for cooking. These knives could potentially end a life in a split second. The metal chills my skin, causing me to grip the blade a little harder.

        Four turns toward his target, and holds a knife in his right hand with the other two in his left. He inhales and lifts the knife so its level with his waist. He exhales and throws the knife. It hits the center of the target. I internally laugh at the mouth-dropping initiates. He repeats the skill in the same pattern and then it's our turn. Four doesn't remove his knives from the target, because it is an example to us.

        "Line up!" Tris tells us.

        "Maybe you'll hit the center on your second throw like with the guns." Isaac jokes, with that boyishly handsome grin of his.

        "Maybe." I reply, arching my eyebrow.

        I hold a knife in my right hand blade up like Four had and focus on the target. I inhale, but forget to exhale resulting in the knife clattering to the ground.

        Come on Serenity, you can do this. Holding the second knife the same as the first, I inhale and concentrate on the center of the target. I lift the knife and close my left eye. I exhale this time and the knife sticks to the target, a few inches beneath the center. At least I hit the target. Everyone else seems to have much more difficulty with actually hitting the target then the center. Knives clatter to the floor like raindrops during a fierce storm.

        Amy strikes her target a centimeter or two above the center on her 4th attempt. I smile, happy she's progressing well. Tris and Four pace to and fro behind us, observing our throwing technique.

        After throwing the last knife, I quickly take them off the board and restart. I repeat the same pattern and the knife sticks to the center this time. I just grin and continue throwing casually but internally, I'm praising my victory.

        After pulling all my knives off the board again, I see Kendall and Alex plotting something. They're obviously up to no good. They smirk at Allison who hasn't hit the center yet, but she's pretty close. Kendall holds a knife in her hand and prepares to throw it straight at Allison's head! Alex seems to barely contain her excitement. Oh heck no! I can't let them get away with this.