"You're welcome. Merry Christmas, Vera."

Vera quickly checked her surroundings. It was okay to peck his cheek, right? Candace could handle that? Vera gave him a light kiss, whispering thank you once again.

"Aaaalright, you two saps. Let Foggy unwrap some of his presents too, okay?" Foggy grunted, reaching under the Christmas tree. He picked Vera's. After such a beautiful moment, she expected her gift to Foggy being quite a shock. Well...

Vera kept the dresses in her lap, fingers itchy for touching the fabric over and over again. She watched Foggy to fight with the decorative paper, winning. He froze when seeing package with kilo of peanuts, frowning. Vera felt her cheeks burning as Matt's best friend looked around his family, finding the source of this peculiar present; he stopped at Vera's since all his relatives wore surprised expression and Matt's head was slightly tilted to side as well.

"Thanks...?" Foggy offered unsurely, attempting a smile. Vera rolled her eyes.

"It's stupid. You complained the other day that you're being paid peanuts. So I thought you might be up for some raise," she squeaked and Foggy's eyes went wide. Vera felt all gazes on her, wishing she could sink through the floor. Jesus Christ, this was a terrible idea. From the corner of her eye, she could see Matt's lips twitching.

Finally, Foggy burst out laughing, Matt joining him first, while the others reluctantly laughed too. Matt leaned to Vera, kissing her temple, chuckling. Foggy snorted.

"Okay, that's a good one. Definitely the most original gift I ever got," Foggy stated with a grin and Vera raised her gaze.

"There are two tickets to cinema on the back of the package. You know, for you to hang out. Outside Josie's."

"Thanks, Vera."

Vera smiled at him shakily, happy that at least he took it as a champ. Few other gifts ensued, before Matt got his from Vera as well. He was much more careful than Foggy, unwrapping it with his skilful fingers. Vera wondered if he already knew what was inside – he probably did.

Once he opened it, he traced the tie and the clip on it with a light smile, turning to her.

"I don't deserve a rise or an opportunity to hang out, huh?" he teased her and Vera bit her lip, trying to come with a suitable response. Of course, this wasn't the main gift she wanted to give him – but she couldn't say that, not out loud. But honestly, it was lame.

Vera shrugged. "Well, starting Nelson and Murdock was your idea, so it's totally your fault you're not sitting in all steel and glass offices and earning a fortune-" The corners of his lips twitched higher. "And if I gave you two tickets to somewhere, I would be basically suggesting you should take me there, so... we all know you're a workaholic anyway."

He chuckled and kissed her temple once more. "Thank you. What colour is it? Please tell me it's dark blue like your dress."

Vera sighed in relief, feeling his thank you was genuine despite the... ordinariness.

"I could tell you that, of course. But no, it's... whiskey brown with crimson reflections." His smile softened, hopefully remembering she once described his eyes as whiskey-coloured.

"Lady knows her shit," Candace hummed, making her way for another gift. But she never reached her destination, stopping in her track, bending down.

"Hey, what's that?" her curious voice asked and everyone turned to her on instinct. She picked up something from the floor. Something, which was rather small. And wrapped in decorative paper. Vera subconsciously reached to her pocket on her skirt.