One

"Oh, please, as if you didn't know. It's still the same. Even though I might try the gingerbread latté, Karen wouldn't shut up about it. So...yeah, I'll go for it. Two gingerbreads and one boring plain Americano with no sugar," Foggy answered – unusually cheerily, even for him – once Vera greeted him and asked him about his order.

It was after middle of December. Things were... good. Actually, things were great. There was snow on the pavement; something people were bickering about (not really meaning it, Vera suspected) and Vera enjoyed, the café smelt after gingerbreads, cinnamon and vanilla and most people were in holiday spirit. Truth to be told, Vera was too... and kinda wasn't. She always loved Christmas, but this year...well. The main reason why she loved Christmas – her family – was thousands kilometres away and her outlook for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day was... lonely. Matt was spending holidays at Nelsons. Terri went home. And the café was closed, so she couldn't distract herself with work.

Merry Christmas, Vera.

She shook off the dark thought, returning Foggy's smile and went to prepare his order. To make the boring plain Americano special, she added a traditional sticker with Matt's name in braille when writing the names on the cups – Foggy smiled at the action, probably thinking she was a sap.

"This will never stop being cute. Thanks," he grinned and Vera handed him the holder, attempting to say goodbye, because...customers. Foggy had different plan. "We're leaving on Thursday evening. We settled at 6 p.m., is that okay?"

Vera felt her eyebrows shot up deliberately. Was he talking to her?

"Uhm...leaving where?" she asked unsurely, her mind racing. She didn't agree to anything lately, right? Plus, Thursday was 23rd December. She definitely didn't promise anyone anything on 23rd December. She would remember that.

Foggy frowned, looking at her as if she was crazy. "To my parent's house. For Christmas," he explained as if she was stupid.

Vera was baffled. Why was he telling her when they were leaving with Matt? Did he think Matt needed her approval to leave? She wasn't such a nag, was she?

"And you're me telling this because...?"

At this point, she could tell he was getting confused as well. "To make sure you can make it."

"Make it?"

There was a short silence in which the turning of wheels in both, Vera's and Foggy's head, was the only significant sound. Foggy's was faster.

"Oh my god, he's such a chicken," Foggy blurted out, sighing. Vera was still lost. What. Was. He. Talking about? "He didn't tell you, did he?"

"Didn't tell me what?" Vera asked cautiously, slowly realizing where that headed. Clearly, he was talking about Matt.

"That you're coming with us. For the true spirit of Christmas at Nelsons. Mum invited us all over for holidays."

Vera froze, her mind returning several weeks back; she was sitting in a backseat of an expensive car with Matt, personal driver of Tony Stark delivering them to Vera's apartment after a rescue mission. Matt said no to Thanksgiving, because he wanted to stay with Vera. Because she got... well, shot.

"Should I call your mum to apologize personally?" Matt said, apparently guilty for declining the generous offer.

"Nah. I'll explained it to her... or you know, give her the short harmless version. She'll be sad, but she'll live - if you promise to come for Christmas instead," Foggy replied with light amusement.