"You..." she manages to choke out, unable to believe it. "You're the one who's been whispering to me all this time. You're the one from my dreams. You're the one who's made me like this."

"I didn't do anything," Cal answers. He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "You already had it in you, Clary. I only did what our mom would have wanted for the both us — I helped you realize what you truly are, what we can be together."

"No!" Clary brings her hands up to her head, gripping her hair tightly. She can't feel anything. She can't feel the pain; she feels empty. Yet the ache in her chest tells her otherwise. "I didn't do this, I couldn't have. He's my brother! I love him more than anything in my life —"

Clary averts her gaze; Cal's green eyes are piercing, unnerving. They make her feel more vulnerable than ever. They're the eyes she's feared for so long, the horrifying, glimmering eyes that have haunted her dreams and mind, even when she was awake and free from the darkness of her night terrors.

"You're with him, then?" she asks. "Darth Vader...the Empire?"

Cal scoffs, shocking Clary. His disdain is evident as he nearly spits, "Are you joking? The Empire is weak. Darth Vader is weak. The Emperor is weak. We can be so much greater than them, so much more powerful, if only you would just open your eyes and see —"

"Stop it," Clary's voice shakes on a nervous vibrato as she dares to meet his gaze, her hands shaking. "I'm not going to listen to this anymore. You can't tell me anything to make me believe you."

"Why? Because you're so 'good'?" Cal steps forward, and on impulse Clary moves to step back again, but her back is pressed firmly against the closed door, trapping her inside. "Or is it because of that boy, Luke Skywalker?"

At the mention of Luke, Clary's strength resurfaces. A new sort of rage flows through her and she holds Cal's gaze evenly, spitting, "Don't bring him into this."

Cal laughs. He laughs loudly, but the sound is hollow and discrete, filling Clary with dread. He continues to laugh, shaking his head, bringing up a hand to pinch at the bridge of his nose.

"You can't be serious..." He inhales sharply, eyes narrowed and dark as he regains his composure. "You can't be serious, Clary." His voice is sharp, and Clary finds herself flinching at his seething tone. "This is exactly what made our mother weak. Love. It's pathetic. Love will destroy you, Clary."

"No," Clary's voice doesn't waver this time as she shakes her head, her fists clenched so tightly that her knuckles are starting to turn white. At Cal's gaze, she feels a sharp pang in her chest as she notices the empty, hollowed look in his eyes. "You're wrong."

"Love is weak, Clary," Cal snaps. "I may not have been able to save our mother from it, but I can save you." He starts forward again, attempting to reach for the button to open the door, but Clary's reflexes are quick as she moves to stand in front of the panel, blocking him from escape.

"I won't let you hurt him," she says, defiant and blazing.

Cal pulls his hand away, considering her for a moment, before he starts to laugh again. This time, he's laughing so hard the creases near his eyes are deepening, and his shoulders shake with every breath he takes. Clary inhales sharply, reaching for her belt behind her, feeling for her blaster.

"Hurt him? You think I'm going to hurt Skywalker?" Cal shakes his head, breathing slowly as he becomes composed once more. "I'm not the one who's going to hurt him, Clary. You are."

For a moment, everything is quiet. Nothing can be heard aside from the hum of the lightsaber and Clary's gasping breaths. And then, Luke finally speaks.