5- The Audition

Jayden

While the boys were out for a series against the Pirates I had time to do some things I needed. I had a audition for a record contract today so that was pretty exciting. It was basically like the voice where there's five record labels represented in the stands of a auditorium and you go out there and try to sell yourself to them. They ask questions and have you sing for them. I was always a natural with the interviews so I wasn't that nervous. This would be the first time I sang for anything so it was a little nerve wracking, but I know my abilities can take me where I wanted to go.

I walk around the city for a little before finding a bench to chill at. I pull out my phone and see I had a text from Kris.

Good morning Jay! I just wanted to say good luck at your audition, not that you're going to need it. It's pretty cool I get to watch you blow up into this big star, and it all starts with today. Kick some ass.

I laugh at the text and shake my head. Having someone like Kris around was a lot of fun. He was so sweet and so good at what he does. Anthony was right, he really was perfect and it was a little creepy. But we're both in the big city for the first time trying to chase our dreams and it's cool we have each other to lean on.

I finally text something back before sending it off.

That's so sweet of you Kris! Thanks for thinking of me, it means the world. I'll make sure to get home right after my audition to watch you and Anthony play. Good luck out there 🍀

I walk a short few blocks into a building in the heart of the city. I see a bunch of other people walking back and fourth as they go over the lyrics given to them for the audition. On top of singing this audition was to see how musically inclined we were, which I had nothing to worry about. I lived and breathed music.

I feel my phone buzz again then again. I was going to ignore it but I was curious as to who else would be texting right now. I look at my phone and see one text was from kris saying thank you among other things and the second was from Anthony.

Kris keeps smiling at his phone and it better have nothing to do with you!

I roll my eyes and type a message back before turning my phone off and walking in.

I can't make a friend smile? Is that so illegal?

I walk up to the front desk and get signed in. They hand me my sheet paper and a number and I sit down in one of the many open seats. I read over whichever song they picked out for me and I smile. I knew this song. I see how they arranged it for me and make a few changes of my own. I set the paper down and kind of zone out out into the middle of nowhere.

This is the first time I auditioned for something not in school. I never did the voice or American idol or anything else like that. I didn't have a tragic backstory or a viral YouTube video. I was working hard in college to get a degree in arranging and music composition. And now that I have them and my parents set me free nothing was going to hold me back, well besides these music producers I was about to sing in front of.

"Ms. Jayden Daniels" someone calls and I snap my head around. I see someone with a headset call me over. I walk over and he leads me out to a stage. Here was five people scattered throughout the audience going through their papers. The guy hands me a microphone and wishes me luck before darting off stage.

"Alright... Jayden Daniels is it" someone asks, still not looking up from the paper. Probably going through my bio and stuff like that.