One

Estélle looked in the mirror.
She saw, well, herself.
She saw a girl that had lived with things a 14-year-old girl should not have lived with. She saw a girl that held her head high, even though she knew about the scathing remarks made behind her back. She saw a girl that lived behind her glasses, shy, and no-one who cared enough to actually talk to her.
She saw Estélle Vermont, resident nerd of Westside High School.
////////////////////////////////////////
Another day, Estélle thought as she heard the sound of her alarm echo through her room.
She wondered why everyone didn't just use songs for their alarms; it's a lot more pleasant to wake up to.
She personally chose an upbeat and happy song, and it did the job as well as any 'BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!' ever could.
After getting dressed, she walked downstairs, only to be greeted by her mother and breakfast: waffles drizzled with syrup.
'Morning, sweetie.' Her mother said.
////////////////////////////////////////
Estélle thought she had the best mother in the world.
Emma Vermont was a kind lady, who, despite aging into her early forties, still had the glint of childish mischief in her eye. She was strict when necessary, but preferred to be lenient and give her only child a happy childhood, not littered with arguments.
Honestly, Estélle couldn't have asked for a better mother.
Emma loved making Estélle happy, and it cheered up Estélle when she saw her mum smiling, too.
Call her a 'mummy's girl' if you want, Estélle just loved her mum.
////////////////////////////////////////
Estélle finished her waffles, and placed her plate in the sink.
'Your bag's in the living room. If you have any homework, go and grab it.'
She obeyed her mother's request, and fetched her English assignment from her desk, upstairs in her bedroom. She then placed it in her bag, and got her timetable from her blazer pocket.
////////////////////////////////////////
Estélle smiled, she had good teachers this year. Mr. Olives she had every year, and he was a fantastic teacher. He didn't push students, he just asked for them to try their best, and most did, some out of liking the teacher and wanting to make him proud, some because rumors went around that he would punish you extremely badly if you didn't.
Estélle didn't believe those rumors, though.
She didn't have any friends, so she spent her free time during break and lunch at his classroom. He didn't mind, of course, and during that time she grew to know the teacher fairly well.
He was funny, spent his free time at home or with his girlfriend, was 28 (which surprised Estélle; she knew he was young from his appearance, but she didn't think he was that young) and enjoyed biking and playing tennis.
Essentially, Mr. Olives was her first real friend, which she thought was a bit sad.
////////////////////////////////////////
Estélle zipped up her backpack, slung it over her shoulders, and left the living room, her long brunette hair swishing behind her as her head turned.
She hugged her mother, and told her goodbye.
Her mother did the same thing, kissing her on the cheek.
'Mum! You'll ruin my totally-not-non-existent makeup!' Estélle faux-sighed.
Her mother laughed, and sent her on her way.
////////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Here it is!
The first chapter of a project I've been pondering with the idea of for a while.
My idea was, 'What if I took a cliché high school teen fiction book, and flipped everything?'
So: it's set in Britain, not America; its main character is a nerd, but not bullied, she's mostly left alone, the main character is lesbian and the love interest moves at the beginning of the story, not the main character (you'll see that in the next chapter).
Also, the timetable is loosely based off of my school timetable, so it has a Red Week and Blue Week, which differ in subjects, and there will eventually be a chapter which has a complete timetable.
That's all, folks!
-ProLlama