The Time of the Angels - Meeting River Song

Start from the beginning

I sit in a chair by the control console watching the scene in front of me as the Doctor and this so called River try to keep up with the ship that went flying past and Amy tries her best to keep out of the way. The Doctor was seeming to get very flustered as River helps him fly the Tardis and I can't help but laugh. "They've gone into warp drive. We're losing them. Stay close." River instructs the Doctor and I watch in amusement as the Doctor struggles to keep up.
"I'm trying."
"Use the stabilisers." River tells him.
"There aren't any stabilisers." He responds looking at her still very flustered.
"The blue switches." River gestures to the blue switches and I laugh as the Doctor stares at them and tries to come up with a different use for them, not wanting to be wrong.
"Oh, the blue ones don't do anything, they're just blue." He stutters and River reaches over him as she presses the switches and the Tardis stops shaking. I snicker as the Doctor stands back and River walks away towards me.
"See?" River says.
"Yeah. Well, it's just boring now, isn't it? They're boring-ers. They're blue boring-ers." He says in a whiny voice and I laugh.
"I think the Doctor's little jealous." I comment looking up at River smiling, that was a very enjoyable scene to watch.
"I'm not jealous." The Doctor argues with me and I grin at him before turning to River again.
"So jealous." I say quieter but loud enough for the Doctor to hear and she nods laughing. He swivels around and glares at me. I stand up and walk over to her ignoring the Doctor's glares as Amy asks him something. River turns to me and smiles before hugging me tightly, for some strange reason I don't object as I hug the woman tightly back, feeling an overwhelmingly familiar feeling, like the kind you get when you're hanging out with your bestest friend, much like the feeling I got when I was around mine and my sister's friend, Mels. I turn to see the Doctor watching the two of us closely and Amy watching me confused. She pulls away from me and places her hands on my shoulders.
"Ok, you don't know me, but I know you, the Doctor will probably explain later." I nod, just deciding to accept it rather than question it and I stand beside her as she turns to the Doctor and Amy. "Okay. I've mapped the probability vectors, done a fold-back on the temporal isometry, charted the ship to its destination, and parked us right alongside." She says as a dong can be heard.
"Parked us? We haven't landed." The Doctor scoffs, as he walks towards us, leaving me in the middle of the two bickering adults.
"Of course we've landed. I just landed her." River retorts sounding more like teasing than actual annoyance though.
"But, it didn't make the noise." The Doctor argues and I look at him with furrowed eyebrows, not understanding what he meant.
"What noise?" River asks, not understanding either.
"You know, the-" And he starts to try and imitate the sound the Tardis makes when he lands it, it was an awful intimidation and I rest my forehead on his shoulder in feigned disappointment.
"Stop. Please, stop." I say to him and he frowns at me stopping and I smile as he does and turn my head so that I'm still resting my head on his shoulder, but so that it's the side of my head instead.
"It's not supposed to make that noise. You leave the brakes on." River tells him and I let out an unattractive snort as I try not to laugh and River smiles at me.
"Yeah, well, it's a brilliant noise. I love that noise. Come along, Ponds. Let's have a look." He says as he takes my hand and begins to lead the way to the doors but once again River stops him.
"No, wait. Environment checks." River tells him.
"Oh yes, sorry. Quite right. Environment checks." He says as he drops my hands and walks to the Tardis door and looks out, I giggle a little as he looks in and says:
"Nice out."
"We're somewhere in the Garn Belt. There's an atmosphere. Early indications suggest that-" River starts looking at the screen and I look at it too until she gets interrupted by the Doctor, who is still stood by the door.
"We're on Alfava Metraxis, the seventh planet of the Dundra System. Oxygen rich atmosphere, all toxins in the soft band, eleven hour day and chances of rain later."
"He thinks he's so hot when he does that." River states and I smile.
"He thinks he's so hot, full stop." I correct her and I laugh as I once again get sent a glare from the Doctor as River and I laugh.
"Oi, you're supposed to be on my side." He tells me off, and I put my hands on my hips and look at him.
"And why's that?" I ask raising an eyebrow.
"Because..." He falters, not having come up with an answer yet. "Because you don't even know who she is." He tells me. I look to River  still wanting to be on her side, but not having a good response to that, it's true, I don't, I met her twenty minutes ago, quite literally.
"Oh that's easy." She replies and turns to me, smiling. "I'm your best friend." I look at her confused, as I just said, we met twenty minutes ago, now we're best friends? "Well, in the future." She says thoughtfully, the Doctor gapes at her, obviously shocked that she's telling me this. "You know, we could just be best friends now, if you want." I stand there, slightly confused but as I see the Doctor's confused and slightly frustrated face, I smirk.
"Why the hell not?"
"Isn't that like a 'spoilers' thing?" The Doctor splutters. I look at him confused.
"Yes and no, according to you this is actually how we became best friends." River says turning to me.
"Wait, so you know me from the future? What am I like?" I ask excitedly I look to the Doctor to see him watching River cautiously.
"Sweetie, your bloody hot." She tells me, I grin.
"Sweetie?" I ask.
"Nickname thing, it's the first thing you ever said to me, but no more, you know spoilers and all" She tells me turning to the Doctor. "Happy now?" She asks, referring to the not telling me anything more. He doesn't reply.
"How come you can fly the Tardis?" Amy asks taking me by surprise considering she hadn't spoken the entire time.
"Oh, I had lessons from the very best." River says taking her heels off of the monitor and putting them on again.
"Well, yeah." The Doctor says now sitting down looking a little impressed with himself.
"It's a shame you were busy that day." And I laugh aloud as the Doctor looks to me smiling slightly. "Right then, why did they land here?" River asks herself as she walks down the steps and I follow after her and she links arms with me and smiles sweetly.
"They didn't land." The Doctor tells her.
"Sorry?" River asks, not looking back. The Doctor gets up from his seat and skips up to us.
"You should have checked the Home Box. It crashed." He says as River opens the door and starts to walk out with me. "Oh no you don't." The Doctor says, wrapping his hand around my arm, pulling me out of River's grip and back into him causing me to look up and pout at him for not letting me go too; River looks back to me smiling as I get pulled back in.
"Bye Sweetie!" She calls, I smile a little to myself, I may have only known her for – now – twenty-three minutes, but I could tell we really were going to be best friends. Once the Doctor shuts the Tardis door and frees me from his grip, I go up to the control console and sit down back in the seat, still pouting a little.
"Explain. Who is that and how did she do that museum thing?" Amy asks as they follow up after me. The Doctor goes to the monitor and starts typing some stuff.
"What are you doing?" I ask from my seat.
"Leaving. She's got where she wants to go, let's go where we want to go." I frown slightly at that reply and sit back watching as Amy continue to question him.
"Are you basically running away?"
"Yep." The Doctor replies not hesitating.
"Why?"
"Because she's the future. My future."
"Well she seems to be my future too, according to her." I tell him and he glances up at me as I watch him, he just sighs and looks back down.
"Can you run away from that?" Amy continues.
"I can run away from anything I like. Time is not the boss of me." The Doctor tells her seeming to get a little fed up with the questions.
"Hang on, is that a planet out there?" Amy asks, and I look up to her grinning, knowing exactly what she's thinking.
"Yes, of course it's a planet." The Doctor replies.
"You promised us a planet." I butt in and the Doctor turns to me looking a little exasperated.
"Five minutes?" Amy asks, barely containing her excitement.
"Okay, five minutes." He finally gives in as Amy runs to the doors. "But that's all, because I'm telling you now, that woman is not dragging me into anything." He tells mainly Amy and I stand up following after him a smile on my lips as I walk up behind him before I kiss his cheek and run off saying.
"Of course not, dear." I mock him before exiting the Tardis, going a bright red as I realise that I kissed his cheek.

As I exit the Tardis I see Amy standing a little distance away from River as they both look up to the crash site. "Woah." I whisper as I walk past Amy and stand beside River. "What caused it to crash?"
"Not me." River says beside me and I feel another presence on my other side as I turn to see the Doctor now standing next to me and looking at River.
"Nah, the airlock would've sealed seconds after you blew it. According to the Home Box, the warp engines had a phase shift. No survivors." He tells us.
"A phase shift would have to be sabotage. I did warn them." River says to me as she links arms with me once again.
"About what?" I ask, but River doesn't reply as she smiles at me before pretending like she never heard me.
"Well, at least the building was empty. Aplan temple. Unoccupied for centuries." River states as she takes a device out and starts messing around on it, I try to peak at what she's doing but she only moves it out of my sight further sending me a cheeky smile.
"Aren't you going to introduce us?" Amy asks from behind us. I turn back to look at her as River continues working.
"Amy Pond, Professor River Song." The Doctor introduces Amy, I frown a little considering he didn't say me as well. Before I have the chance to comment on it, River swirls around looking at then Doctor, gasping.
"I'm going to be a Professor some day, am I? How exciting. Spoilers." She says turning around and sending me a quick smile as I laugh at the Doctor's face.
"Yeah, but who is she and how did she do that? She just left you a note in a museum." Amy asks, trying to be subtle but failing miserably as River addresses her again.
"Two things always guaranteed to show up in a museum. The Home Box of category four starliner and sooner or later, him. It's how he keeps score."
"Yeah, we know." I laugh as Amy comes up behind us standing next to me as we both look to River.
"It's hilarious, isn't it?" River chuckles as the Doctor comes in between us splitting us apart slightly.
"I'm nobody's taxi service. I'm not going to be there to catch you every time you feel like jumping out of a space ship." The Doctor says sounding frustrated as I just laugh again.
"And you are so wrong. There's one survivor. There's a thing in the belly of that ship that can't ever die." River says to the Doctor before turning back to us. "Now he's listening." I send him a quick smile as River pulls me away as she puts the thing she was messing around with to her ear, I'm assuming that makes it some kind of communicator as she speaks. "You lot in orbit yet? Yeah, I saw it land. I'm at the crash site. Try and home in on my signal." She says putting the communicator up in the air as we turn to face my sister and the Doctor, she waves it in the air. "Doctor, can you sonic me? I need to boost the signal so we can use it as a beacon." I grin as the Doctor grudgingly does so. "Curtsey with me." She mutters to me and I smile as we both curtsey to the Doctor as River pulls me away again, towards the crash.
"Mackenzie, stop wandering off with her!" The Doctor shouts after us and this causes both River and I to laugh.
"This is going to sound weird." I say to River. She nods letting me continue as we walk slowly still linking arms. "Why do I feel like I can tell you every dark secret I have?" It's strange that I honestly trusted this lady so much, I hadn't known her long and she honestly did feel like an extremely close friend that I had known for years.
"Believe it or not, I've known you for a very long time, and it will all make sense in a moment, or at least some of it will." She says before she suddenly spins around as seems to receive something on her communicator, she looks to me smiling. "We have a minute!" She calls back to the Doctor and Amy. "Shall we?"