"Im looking for Sabina. Do you know where she is or who might?" Alex's voice reeks of authority and commands obedience. I expect that every person he has spoken to was too afraid to lie to him.

"I dont know myself where she is but i know who will. You're not going to like who though." The voice on the phone answers worringly.

"Who is it?" Alex commands.

"Leif."

.....

"Are you going to sulk the entire way?" I ask menacingly.

Alex tightens his grip on the steering wheel and makes a thin line with his lips but doesn't respond.

"So, that would be a yes?"

Alex peels his eyes from the road ahead and directs his unimpressed gaze at me. I just smile back cheekily.

"I wish you would have stayed with Amelia and Etu. Where you would be safe." He is using his stern tone on me in an effort to still persuade me to change my mind but the decision has already been made.

"And i told you that i would not sit by idly and let you do this alone. We are in this together. Remember?"

"I haven't seen Leif in centuries and the last time i saw him, we almost killed each other." His response is exactly what he told me back at Amelia's to get me to stay. It didnt work then, and it wont work now.

"All the more reason for me to come along. Maybe a bit of estrogen is exactly what you two knuckle heads need in order to keep from killing each other."

Alex then goes back to being silent and moping from not getting his way. I have to hide the smile that wants to show from making Alex become such a pouting mess.

.....

Hours and hours later, Alex turns down a narrow dirt track that has been turned white from the falling snow. We drive down the track slowly until there is no more track at all.

"We have to walk from here." Alex says as he turns off the car and reaches in the back seat for his jacket.

I follow suit and step out of the car and into the cold night air. The chill of the wind blows straight through me and threatens to freeze my blood. I pull my jacket tighter in protest and follow Alex as he begins his descent into the darkened woods ahead of us.

We move in silent unison and leave our footprints in the snow until a wave of unease falls over me. Someone is watching us.

Alex, do you feel that?

Alex stops mid step and looks around into the darkness.

We need to keep moving, and quickly.

We quicken our pace through the snow on high alert. There is someone watching us in the darkness but neither of us know who. We need to get to saftey as soon as possible.

Suddenly, through the darkness, a howl sounds setting alarm bells ringing through my mind. Maybe its not 'someone' thats watching us, but 'something.'

As if i dreamed it into reality, a pure white wolf steps out of the darkness in front of us and growls loudly. The sight of the beautiful creature causes us both to stop dead in our tracks and await the wolf's next move.

We don't have to wait long before another two wolves flank its sides and then another five form a circle around us, effectively surrounding us.

My heart begins to pound loudly in my chest as i struggle to contain its quickened pace. I can feel the anxiety and worry creep throughout my bones.