Chapter 11: Battle

::DREW::

Maybe it was her smile. No, not maybe, it was definitely her smile. When I saw her smile, I knew everything was going to be okay. And yes, yes we are going to kick butt.

"As always," I replied. I stood up and walked alongside her to the board that Chloe has laid out with where to go and who we were facing off against.

"We're going up against Dawn and Paul first," I said with an edge of fear. I knew Paul was really good, and absolutely ruthless while Dawn was a coordinator who focused more or less on the beauty of her Pokemon. This battle could either be the hardest battle we've had in a while or the easiest, depending on how Dawn and Paul work together.

"We're going to the pool for our first battle," May said. Then out of nowhere, she grabbed my hand and we started running off. A jolt of energy radiated throughout my hand. Adrenaline ran through my body and all of a sudden, I felt like I was in one of those movies where they grab each other's hand and giddily run off to go make out. I could see May shaking with happiness and excitement. I looked at her and smiled. She smiled back.

We kept running, not knowing where we were going. We seemed to be able to find every room in the mansion except for the pool. When we finally got to the pool, Gary, who was the referee for the match; Dawn; Paul; and Leaf, who was watching the match from beside Gary, were all waiting for us.

"What the hell took you so long?" Gary inquired, an edge of impatience creeping into his voice.

"Sorry," May said, looking down.

"Never mind," Gary said impatiently. "Get to your spot." Then he walked over to the referee's stand with Leaf standing sweetly beside him. "This battle will be a tag battle between Drew Hayden and May Maple on one side and Dawn Hikari and Paul Shinji on the other!" Gary announced. "Battle begin!"

"Go Buneary!" Dawn said happily.

"Pathetic," Paul commented snidely. "Ursaring, standby for battle."

Buneary bounced onto the battlefield happily while Ursaring appeared beside it.

A rush of panic overwhelmed me. I had no idea what Pokemon May was going to use. The same thought must've crossed May's mind because she looked at me quickly with a worried look. I took a deep breath and knew all we could do now was wing it. I motioned gently for her to call out her Pokemon first.

"Glaceon! Take the stage!" she cried as she threw Glaceon's Pokeball into the air.

I sighed a sigh of relief. At least I had some idea of Glaceon's attacks. I pulled out a Pokeball and hoped this would work. "It's your turn, Flygon!" I called out.

Flygon and Glaceon appeared on the stage in their normal grandeur with Flygon arcing over the pool and Glaceon.

"Glaceon! Ice Shard!"

With all of the grace she had, Glaceon jumped, flipped, and then let out a stream of razor-sharp ice crystals. They were zooming right at Ursaring and Buneary and they were doing nothing to stop it. I felt confidence surge through my veins. If they just stood around like that, we would absolutely win. At the last minute though, I saw a smirk creep onto Paul's face.

"Ursaring! Focus Blast!"

Ursaring put its huge paws close together and formed a glowing blue-white ball of sheer energy. Almost as if time were slowing down, the ball slowly grew bigger, until it nearly touched Ursaring's paws. Then in a single, swift, motion, Ursaring pulled its paws back then flung the glowing ball into the incoming shower of icy shards, shattering them all and sending the fragments back to Glaceon... and May.