25

Marli

"Mom..."

"Li-Li?" She whispered in an astonished tone.

That's what she always called me until things went sour with her and I. It felt good to hear her call me that after so many years.

"Hey mom..."

"Baby, how are you. What's wrong, you sound so sad."

"I miss you." I barely managed to get out as I broke down.

Despite how angry I may be at her shes still my mom. Through all of the bullshit I've encountered over these past couple of years all I've truly wanted was for my mom to be there and tell me everything was gonna be alright. Not having that mother daughter relationship really has taken a toll on me.

Growing up without a father was already a hard burden, my mom was really all I had. Yes I'm still mad at her for what she did but I need her now more than ever. I felt a hand being placed on my back and turned around to see August looked extremely worried.

"Shhh, baby calm down, it's okay. I miss you more. Mija I am so sorry for all the pain that I've caused you."

She began breaking down along with me.

"Mom I'm coming home in a few days. Don't tell Taylor and Nana, I want to surprise them. I have to go now. I- I love you mama."

"I love you so much more sweetie. I can't wait to see you again. Adios Li-Li."

"Bye mama."

I hung up the phone and August pulled me up embracing me in a warm hug.

"I'm proud of ya baby."

I didn't say anything in return. I didn't need to. Honestly, I'm scared to meet her again. I'm scared that all of my angry emotions will come back and present themselves and that's not what I want. I want to able to see her and just rekindle the love we had, but I know it's not that easy. Shit just won't happen over night but I need to get things straight with her so I can continue on with my life and finally be fully happy. It all starts here.

August

"Aye man when y'all coming back. Yanna been all sappy and shit for a few days." Brian grumbled.

"Nigga they talk everyday."

"It's not enough! You kidnapped my baby, bring her back!" I heard Yanna scream.

I chuckled when I heard Brian mumble under his breath.

"We'll be back in a few days I think. I'll let y'all know."

"Iight, one." He replied.

I hung up climbing in bed next to Marli who was staring off into space. Ever since she talked to her moms she been in her own little world.

"Baby."

She directed her attention to me and forced a smile. I pulled her into my chest and wrapped my arms around her.

"Ya scared?"

"Kinda." She mumbled.

"I'll go wit ya if ya want me to."

"No, you have to work. It's alright."

"Naw, I wanna be there."

She nodded and got quiet for a moment.

"Do you think everything will be okay?" She questioned looking up at me.

I tightened my grip around her and pecked her lips.

"Everything's gonna be fine. Just don't let that smart mouth of yours start yappin."

She smiled and laid her head back on my chest. It's ideal to say everything will be okay, but the amount of shit she's been subjected to in this short amount of time it's hard to say. I'm just not sure she has the mindset for all of this.