Chapter IX - Lights Out

Clara wakes up to sun streaming through the windows and the place next to her and the bed empty. She gets up, thinking Sherlock probably fell asleep on the couch again. After putting on her robe, Clara makes her way out to the kitchen, where she finds no Sherlock and a note.

I have an important case with John. Too dangerous for you to come along. Will be back. -SH

Clara crumples the note in her hand and sets it on the table tensely. Too dangerous for her to along. 

"Bullshit!" Clara exclaims aloud. Since when can't she go on a case with Sherlock? Whatever he is doing now, it almost certainly can't be as dangerous as traveling with the Doctor! Now what was she supposed to do? She leans against the countertop and exhales, thinking. She stays there for a while, bent over. How could Sherlock do this to her? The only excitement in her life now was his cases--and now he had taken those away too?

Clara stands up and goes over to the bedroom to change. She decides to work at the Diner today--she has nothing better to do. Today was supposed to be Ash and Bill's shift, but they probably wouldn't mind an extra hand.

After she'd gotten dressed, Clara grabbed her coat and headed out the door, she ran into Mrs Hudson downstairs.

"Good morning, dearie! Is Sherlock gone already?" Mrs Hudson asked.

"Yes, he's gone on a case with John. If you see him before I do, tell him I went out to the Diner, please."

"Of course, sweetie. Have a good day! Oh. and I'm glad to hear that he and Sherlock are getting along." She smiles at her.

Clara smiles back and nods. "You too, Mrs H."

~

Cold snow blew against Clara's face and the sun shone brightly in her eyes as she rounded to corner to the Diner. Upon approaching it, she noticed that it was empty and dark inside, with the sign out front showing "Closed." Clara, wondering where her friends were, pulled out her phone and texted Ash.

I'm at the Diner. Where are you? -CO

Ash replied.

...Wiggy and I went on a date. It wasn't that busy, and I just asked in a burst of courage. Is that alright? -AED

Clara grinned at the message.

Of course! I'll be here if you need me--have fun! -CO

Putting her phone away, she pulled out her Diner keys to unlock the door. It creaked as she stepped inside and clicked on the lights. She dropped her bag and coat behind the counter and stood there, clueless as to what to do.

At a loss of productive ideas, Clara heats some water on the stove for a cuppa. She sits at the bar and flips through one of the magazines on the counter. Just as the teapot on the stove starts to squeal, the lights go out.

Clara jolts up, the teapot reaching a deafening pitch. How did that happen? The Diner is a living, breathing TARDIS--its lights didn't go off just like that! She gets up, the urgent screaming of the teapot becoming white noise. Many thoughts are racing through her head. Is the Diner somehow broken? Or... is someone in the Diner?

It couldn't be broken, she thought, because the cloister bell wasn't sounding. So... the lights must have manually been turned off. A shiver went down Clara's spine. Somebody was in the Diner.

Cautiously, Clara makes her way to the console room dor and steps inside. It's pitch black in there too, but the hum of the Diner assures her that it really isn't broken. Using her hands, she guides herself to the console using the railings. She feels around for come certain wheels and levers and messes around until she pulls a right switch and a dull glow emanates from the console's lava-lamp-like center. The dull glow is enough to see by,  so she makes her way back to the door to leave.

As she turns the nob, it doesn't budge. She tries again, and it still doesn't open.

Clara panics. Locked? How can it be locked? I just went through it! she wonders. Something definitely isn't right.

"Hello, Clara," a familiar feminine voice says from behind her.

Hands muffle her scream from behind as the dull glow of the console goes out again.

~~~~~

The next chapter is written and ready to be posted, just give me the word. :)

Leave a comment please and let me know what you think! I value comments much more than anything else, and every time someone leaves an encouraging one, it gives me the inspiration to update. (props to hayleysingleton and  for doing just that <3)

Only a few more chapters left! I'm planning on doing a Q&A at the end, so leave questions below that you would like me to answer.

Thank you, everyone, for reading.

-O

WC: 729

23.12.17