Chapter 9

We wait.

For a while.

They have to drain out the city eventually, Govind keeps saying, not once leaving Cass's side.

Cass stays shaking by the woman's body, her face turning pale and sweat pouring down it. She refuses to acknowledge any of us.

I'm not sure if I really want to know what Govind means by "draining the city."

I don't know if it's exactly what it sounds like.

Chloe's starting to lose patience. Her fingers tap restlessly on the building's edge, never taking her eyes off of the water level below.

I can't make myself look at it for more than two seconds before I begin to get queasy.

Sitting in the corner by myself is a much safer option.

I feel myself shaking. I don't think I really believed that aliens were taking over our world. I didn't want to, at least.

My thoughts block out all reality, sending me down an endlessly swirling spiral. My mind is terrifying.

My eyes glaze over and suddenly the world doesn't exist anymore. It's just my thoughts trapping me in a prison.

It's more the uncertainty than anything that freaks me out. I'd probably feel a lot better if somebody just told me I was going to die rather than just sitting here, knowing that anything could happen.

A sigh from Chloe shocks me back to reality. "God, this is sad," she says, staring dead at me.

I scowl at her. "What do you want?"

"Water's sinking. We have to get moving."

I bite my cheek, nodding reluctantly. "Okay."

Chloe calls over to Govind and Cass. "Hey, lovebirds! We have to go!"

Govinda face turns bright red while Cass just breathes in shakily and nods. "Let's go." Her voice is croaky, strained from sobbing.

Chloe rushes down the stairs, energized to an almost annoying point. "Let's move." Her gaze flickers around. "I don't want to spend anymore time here than we have to."

The streets are soaking wet, no more abandoned than before. I breathe in the humid air, my throat tightening.

"Well?" Chloe asks, her voice laced with anxiety. "This is your city."

I blink at her for a moment. "Yes. Of course."

Taking an unsteady step forward, a small sob escapes me.

Chloe doesn't roll her eyes or make a comment. She looks awkwardly concerned. Like she feels like she should say something but doesn't really want to.

I keep walking, blinking out tears.

Crumbling buildings line the empty streets. Buildings that used to be pristine, imposing. Sidewalks that used to be filled to the brim with people bustling to and fro.

It's painful to look at.

I stop and close my eyes.

Sighing, Chloe walks up to me. "Is there something wrong?"

"Just give me a minute," I snap back.

Her gaze softens just the slightest bit. "Unfortunately, we don't have one."

I glare at her, but my look quickly crumbles away. "My apartment's this way," I whisper.

Somehow, I manage to lead them all in the right direction, and I can practically see relief coming off of Chloe in waves.