day 26

day 26
05.21.17
12:00AM

today, jaehyun found scrapbooks.

not just any scrapbook that his family kept; one that was made up of you and him.

it was hidden, all dusty, yet beautiful in the attic that jaehyun never visited.

and heck, when he saw it, he was mental.

it brought back so much memories, that came pouring out of jaehyun's mind.

8 years old, the time you both played basketball together, and jaehyun playing it easy so you could score some points.

10 years old, where jaehyun took you to your school dance, and wiped the tears off your face when the boy you liked ditched you.

13 years old, where you helped jaehyun with one of the hardest tests of the year, allowing him to pass with a 95.

his heart grew warm at all the things you did together, a smile forming on his face as he gazed at the scrapbook wistfully.

it was decorated rather sloppily, colored with blue and red crayons, and had glued on letters that read:

jaehyun and y/n's adventures

this made him laugh, as he opened up the scrapbook, and was flipping through the pictures, drinking up all the good thoughts that came from such beautiful pictures.

although there were humorous pictures, filling jaehyun with chuckles and giggles, there was one that especially got to him.

it was a picture that had both of your foreheads pressed together, and you were making eye contact with each other.

your hands were put together, as you faced each other. jaehyun, 12 years old then, was scrunching his nose as you smiled widely.

and instead of a regular caption, it was a little message that jaehyun wrote years before, which read:

y/n and i are applying to the same high school! hopefully, we can both get in, so we're together to support each other. today, we promised to never, ever, walk away from each other. if we can't walk together, we can run together. if we can't run, we can crawl.   i promise to her, my dearest friend, and to myself, jung jaehyun, to never walk away from someone dear to me.

suddenly, this left jaehyun speechless.

his heart felt like it was about to combust; guilty and devastated.

he promised that at 12 years old?

12 year old jaehyun, who cherished his best friend that much?

who was he now?

he didn't keep that promise, that seemed to precious to both him and you at the time.

to stick together, you didn't do that.

after jaehyun made the basketball team, he no longer saw you everyday like he used to.

there was just too much people, asking to hang out at the park, and too much practice, to make time for you.

and that was his regret, not making time for you.

you texted him, asking if he had plans, but he never answered, just because he was too busy playing some stupid game with his friends.

"i-i'm sorry jaehyun, i'm sorry that i broke that promise," jaehyun choked out, tears forming as he gazed at the picture again, guilt filling him.

he wasn't jaehyun who cared for his family, who would die for them.

he was jae, that nickname given to him in school.