Chapter Six

Chapter Six

It's the next morning and I barely slept at all. My wheelchair is comfortable but not at all like a bed. Mom woke up about an hour ago and apologized over and over for leaving me in my corner. I told her it's fine. She got me ready for school and we are sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.

I eat slowly as she continuously scoops up some cereal, barely tilts her spoon, and watched her cereal fall with a plop, plop, plop back into her milk. Finally I had to ask, "Mom, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, honey." Sure.

"Mom, you can tell me. I need to know."

"Kenneth, whatever you do, you can't tell your father. Promise me you won't."

"I promise."

"I was fired yesterday," she puts down her spoon and looks me in the eye, "Kennie, without your father, that job was the only thing supporting us. I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Get a new one."

She forces a smile and pushes some of my hair out of my face, "Oh, if only it were that easy."

The reality of the whole things sinks in. This means we won't be able to pay the rent, to get food. My medical needs were sucking enough out of her paycheck already.

"Why can't you tell Dad?"

"I just couldn't deal with the shame right now," she paused, "I'm not in the mood for an 'I told you so' right now. I'm going to go out today and look for a job interview.

She gets me ready for my ride with Josh and I sit by the door, waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting.