Chapter 50 : Getting Ready

"I'm not entering this team to the chūnin exam," Aiko repeated, "I'll be blunt here: The three of you don't deserve it."

The three genins froze in their seat, but Ara was the first one to recover from her shock. "If I may ask... why?"

Aiko sighed, looking at her students. Yes, they are orphans, they've been fighting in their life, but that doesn't mean she can go easy on them. They're survivors, messed-up survivors.

"Teamwork."

Ara frowned. Kakashi had talked about it so many times, about how important it is, but it seems like she never truly understands.

"What are you talking about?" Yuito asked, "This is our first real mission and nothing goes wrong so far. All of us still finishes our work together, I don't think there's any problem here."

"There's no problem, yet." Aiko let out a heavy breath, "All of you have potential. Yuito, you're a good sensor-type, you don't even need to try to detect any foreign chakra signature around you. Ryota, you want to be a medic, and I can tell that it suits you. I know you are willing to help strangers, and your chakra control only needs a little more improvement. And Ara, you are a jack-of-all-trades. You don't have any particular skill, but your large chakra reserves and your capability to adapt to every situation is very useful."

"You are a good team," the woman said, still wearing her frown, "If you can work with each other, you can be unstoppable. You all are fast learners with sharp instincts and great reflexes. You will grow up as amazing shinobi."

"But if you can't work as a team, it will be useless."

"But lots of ninja go on solo missions!"

Aiko shook her head. "That's not my point. Only the easiest and the hardest missions are finished solo. The others? A team is always needed. A shinobi will have to be able to work with others."

"Medics, interrogators, intel gatherers, the cops, even Anbus, they hardly ever go solo. You can't work alone, it usually leads to failure, if not death." Aiko glanced at Ara, who turned away from her teacher, "I know many shinobis who requested not to be put in any team, and only a few exceptional ones are allowed to do so."

As the 3 genins began to think over their sensei's words, Aiko called one of the waitresses and paid the bill. She waited until her students went back to look at her, before she said, "Listen. We'll return to Konoha in two days. I'm sorry I can't spend more time with you; my job isn't done yet, there's still a lot I have to do at the hospital. You can do whatever you want, and you can even ask Kazuo if you need anything."

The Morino rose from her seat, "Please think about what I told you, okay? Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I promise I didn't mean anything bad. I'll see you all later."

Ara sent her a nod, "Thank you, Aiko-sensei."

Aiko flashed a smile and teleported away.

*/*\*/*\*

"Aiko told me everything," Kō commented, grinning as he patted Ara's back. The girl growled and pushed his hand away, crossing her arms and glared at him.

"I'm not in the mood, Kazuo-san."

After the team returned to the inn, Ryota announced that they all need to look for souvenirs. Yuito reluctantly agreed to come, saying that he's going to find something for his sister. Ara wanted to stay behind, but Kō forced her to tag along, going as far as to drag her out and followed the team, just to make sure she doesn't escape.

"How long have the two of you known each other?" Ryota asked, looking at the young man. Kō shrugged, grabbing Ara's wrist before he turned to look at the boy.