Tale of Two Rings

Start from the beginning

I stepped out of the kitchen and stood alongside the wall close to Ethan. 

He looked at me and ran his fingers through his hair, a pale look on his face. He exhaled hardly. "Go to your room and lock the door," he whispered to me.

Sharon was still worked up over the wedding magazine.

I was sort of disappointed that he'd dismissed me from his side. I wanted to stand next to him when he told her about us. I wanted to see the look of humiliation on her face. All those damn mischievous stunts she pulled on me were finally over. No more shouting and calling me names. No more annoying sound of her thin heels on the marble floors.

I was restless. I stepped out of the room, quietly, and tiptoed down the path to the main living room. I could hear her voice, still excited about the pictures in the book.

Why hasn't he told her anything yet? Why is she still here? And where is he?

I peered out further, and almost had a damn heart attack. He was sitting down right next to Sharon, pointing at pages in the book as well with a smile on his face.

What is going on? He said he'd break it off with her as soon as she gets back. He didn't even wanted her here. He wanted to meet her at the airport and end it once and for all.

So what the hell was he doing, sitting next to her and looking at the wedding magazine with the wedding planner? An ill feeling came over me and I felt as if I was about to vomit. I ran back to the guest room and threw myself on the bed, feeling defeated. Tears streamed down my face as I buried it in the pillows.

Was all this just an act to get me into bed with him? Does he really have intentions of getting married to me instead of Sharon? Why would he chose to be married to me when he has Sharon in his life already?

I cried even more. I was so blind. Ethan would never marry me; all that was just to get me to sleep with him because of my pathetic past. He must have been feeling pity for me, but it wasn't love. Those two things could easily be confused.

I held my head up and rolled myself into a ball. My eyes laid on the coffee cup.

Oh damn, I haven't given him his coffee. I came into the room with it.

Well, to hell with his coffee. I didn't care to serve him his coffee anymore.

Oh, wait a minute. I will serve him his coffee after all.

I wiped my tears away and gathered the strength and the courage I knew I had. Nothing could break me. I'd had one of the toughest childhoods ever and I still made everything work out in my favor. Although it wasn't much, I was a winner back then and I would be a winner now.

I pulled off the engagement ring and threw it into the cup of coffee. I slammed the door as I walked out and headed to the main living room, coffee cup in my hand.

He turned around and saw me.

"Here's your cup of coffee, sir." I handed it to him. 

Sharon didn't even noticed me.

"Thanks Emma," he said without any expression on his face or in his voice. 

I wanted to scream at him and slap him in his lying mouth. But I controlled my anger and walked back to the direction of the room. I peered from behind the wall again as he drank his coffee, waiting patiently for him to see what was in the bottom of it. I had a long wait because he was drinking so slowly.

He turned in my direction and I was certain that he saw me. I turned on my heels and ran to the guest room. He was quickly against the door, forcing it in.

"Emma, open the door!"

"Go to hell, Mr. Hollen!"

"I told you don't call me that! Open the door! Why the fuck you did put the ring in my coffee?"

"Because I hate you. I regret falling for you. Go back to your first fiancee!"

"Emma, don't say things you'll regret. Open the damn door!"

"Go away!"

The banging on the door stopped, so did his voice.

Is he gone? He just gave up just like that?

I watched underneath the door to see if I would notice the shadow of his feet, but the coast was clear. I slowly approached the door, wondering if I should unlock it or just stay in. I found myself unlocking it and peering out.

A strong hand pushed it completely open and he walked in. "What's this?" he asked, holding up the ring.

It's your ring, duh!

"Didn't I tell you that if you take it off we'll have a serious problem?" His eyes were getting darker.

I stood there in complete silence, looking at the floor instead of his dark eyes. He stood there too, looking at me, hard.

"Why is she still here?" I finally spoke up; I wouldn't be scared of talking anymore. "What, you can't hear me now? I asked why is she still here?"

I didn't braced myself for his answer.

"She's here because I want her to be here."