Rings and Things

Ethan's POV

I didn't wait until the auction was completely over. I left half way through because I was worried about my Emma. When I got home, she was already asleep. I kissed her forehead and laid besides her.

She stirred. "Mr. Hollen?"

"Baby, shh. Go back to sleep," I told her as I rubbed her back slowly.

She laid on the pillow and went back to sleep instantly. 

I stayed with her a little longer then went to my room, planning how I would spend my time with her in the morning.

She rested her head on my shoulder as we looked out at the horizon. She looked so calm. I was happy she was asking me questions and showing emotions without me having to force it out of her. I wanted her to be comfortable with me and not afraid of me.

"What are your goals in life, Emma?"

"I want to do something for homeless children who are left on the streets. There's orphanages and foster care homes but that's all there are. I want to add something more so the kids can enjoy life instead of being scared to face it."

I was really moved by her answer. I was expecting her to say something like she wanted to be rich or a model or something in that fashion, but here she was talking about the lives of innocent children and how she wanted to better them. She wasn't just amazing, she was extraordinary. I wasn't falling anymore. I was in love with her.

"Emma, I'm not putting you on the spot, but what was it like growing up in a foster home?"

She heaved a sigh and I saw the tears, which made her eyes twinkled.

"I grew up in twelve different foster homes, including group homes. It was a nightmare, honestly. I was belittled by the bigger kids and physically abused by the adults. I would be beaten badly if I didn't finish my chores on time, and I had a lot to do.

"My weekends were spent doing housework while the other kids played outside. I believed I was treated differently because of the color of my skin, so I hated myself and cursed my parents.

"I had it rough— terrible and unhappy. I don't like talking about it much; it makes me so sad." She began crying.

I pulled her into my arms. "Baby, it's okay. I'm here for you now. No one can hurt you again. I promise you that. I'm here for you."

She sobbed against my chest and I comforted her. I couldn't believe she'd had it so terrible when she was a kid. For Christ sake, she was only a kid and she needed to play as well. Why should someone be treated differently because of the color of their skin? There's only one race— the human race. I didn't like the labeling black and white bullshit. We're all human beings.

I looked at Emma and people like her and they were beautiful people. The complexion of my skin was much lighter than hers, but here I was loving her and caring about her. I didn't see color. I saw love. And I would love her with every beat of my heart and every nerve in my living body.

"Are you cold?" I asked her when I felt her shivering against my chest.

She nodded.

I helped her to her feet, gathered the rest of our things and we walked back to the house. 

"Aww, well if it isn't the happy couple. How was the beach?" Halley teased.

"It was lovely," Emma answered.

I smirked.

We went upstairs and I took Emma to her bedroom. She gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before I left. I needed a shower to get the sand out of my hair. I reached for my phone and saw a text and two miss calls from Sharon.

Hey babe. Seems like you're busy but I'm just calling to check in. The fashion shows are going so great. I think I will stay another week but, if you miss me, I'll come home next weekend.

She was setting me up. If I said I missed her she might come home before her time, and if I said I didn't miss her she'd probably sense something was wrong so I texted back.

Hey you. Sorry, I've been busy exploring the place. Of course I miss you and I can't wait to see you, but I also want you to have fun and enjoy Italy. I want you to be happy. I'm here.

She said she'd extend her stay for another week which meant I'd have more time to myself and with Emma. 

I wanted to extend our stay in Miami, but I had a company to run back in New York. It was already Sunday and we were set to leave the next afternoon.

I took my shower and went down to get something to eat. I sat outside on the porch and enjoyed the warmth of the sky. This was my favorite place; I loved it more than I loved the mansion. 

I really should come here more often.

After I finished, I decided to head into town. There was something important I had to get done. I took my car keys and left a note.

------

I entered a prestige jewelry store, founded by Elizabeth Taylor, in Palm Beach. I knew I would find the perfect ring for Emma here. I entered the building and went up to a sale representative.

She looked me over from head to toe and hesitated to come assist, judging me based on the fact that I was wearing shorts, sandals and a plain white T-shirt, and sunglasses.

"Hello, can I help you sir?" she asked, finally.

"I'm looking for an engagement ring," I answered. 

It was relief she didn't recognize me because that would be headlines for the press. I could see them having a field day with this since I was already engaged. Why would I be buying another engagement ring? Who's the other woman? Blah, blah, blah.

"Sir, our engagement rings start at ten thousand and go up from there."

Is that it?

"Can I see them please?" I asked, impatiently.

She led me to the showcase with the rings. My eyes fell on one in particular; I hoped she would like it. I used cash to purchase it because I didn't want to show any form of  ID. They put it in a black case and told me "congratulations". I thanked them then walked out and walked right into my best friend, Martin. 

"Dude, what are you doing here?" He was rather surprised when he saw me.

I had to think of a lie and fast. Even though he was my best friend I didn't want him to know as of yet. "Sharon lost a diamond in her ring so she left it up to me to get it replaced."

Martin let out a big smile and tapped me on my shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I think it's about time I pop the question."

I laughed. 

Martin was a man-whore. He never wanted anything stable and serious with women. He'd been dating four women the previous year, and three at the beginning of the current. He never stayed with a woman more than four months, so it was, indeed, funny when he said it was about time he popped the question. I guess people do change, and if Martin could go steady then anything was possible.

We parted and I headed back to my beach house. I would pop the question on Emma's birthday in a couple of weeks. I just needed Sharon to extend her stay for two more weeks instead of one.