Chapter 1 - Photo Shoot

Start from the beginning

After what seemed like hours, and probably was, we were done with hair, makeup, and wardrobe. All I needed now was the actual photo shoot and I could leave, get out of here, eat.

I walked in front of the white panorama in my obnoxiously high heels and waited for them to tell me what they wanted.

"Alright, Milani, we want sophisticated and professional yet interposing and sensual. Can you give us that?" The director asked and I nodded. Of course I could.

"Great." He smiled.

I did what I always did seconds before the first shot was taken just so that I could deliver my best performance. I thought of what I was wearing, my mother's couture line, the makeup, and what the director had just asked for. Then I struck my first pose and was met by the first flashing light.

"Good. Very good." He said, smiling. I struck another pose, came another flashing light, and a petty reward comment. Then the cycle repeated over and over until we were done. I smiled with happiness as I tattered over to the director and the crowd of people hovering over the computer to see the shots.

In the big computer screen was me, all dressed up in the new collection of my mother's couture line. My hair was a deep chocolate brown, my skin a tone of peach, and my eyes were baby blue. I was quite tall for a girl, standing at five foot seven and I was a healthy weight but if it was up to me I'd put on five more pounds. That was highly frowned upon, a big no-no, to the supermodel world. I wondered why.

"You did wonderful, Milani. Very well worth the wait. Your mother will be proud." Charles said, looking at me with admiration in his eyes and smile. I smiled back. My mom would be proud and that was all I wanted to make her: proud. "You're so beautiful. Gorgeous! You made this extremely fabulous, Milani." I chuckled at Charles, amused by the three large adjectives used in so short a compliment but I knew that it was genuine.

"Thank you, Charles. It was really great working with you." I said, smiling at him.

After we were done looking at the shots I made my way back to curtain where I changed behind and put on my clothes, sighing in comfort. God, how happy I was to be out of those contraptions known as stilettos. They were an enormous pain in the ass!

Now dressed and ready to go, I hadn't taken off my makeup or undone my hair. I shrugged. Oh well. Before saying some quick goodbyes I was out and making my way back home.

***

"I'm home!" I called out as I entered the apartment. It was already four in the afternoon so my mom would definitely be awake.

"Over here, Mila." My mom answered and I followed her voice to the kitchen. I saw her standing in front of the fridge, opening it and taking out a carton of ice cream. I wanted some so badly.

I walked up to my mom and took her by surprise by gently wrapping my arms around her torso, careful not to hurt her, then kissed her cheek. Ever since her lung cancer had spread out I had been extra careful with her, too careful actually, almost treating her as a fragile porcelain doll. She had always been an avid smoker, acquiring the nasty habit from her twenty two years in France so it had honestly been no surprise. Even though I had lived in France since I was ten and only recently moved back to America, I had never taken on the habit, finding it quite nasty. Yet it doesn't matter because I know she'll make it. She has to.

My mom instantly responded, giving me a kiss on the cheek as she chuckled quietly and smiled.

"How was the shoot, honey?" She asked, looking at me with happy eyes.

"It was pretty good. Charles is nice." I responded, shrugging.

"I'm glad it went well. Have you eaten?" She asked.