C H A P T E R T H R E E

Start from the beginning

A few moments and then someone else proceeds to ask, “Ellie, can you pass the eggs?”

I sigh, but do so, and just as I’m about to get back to eating my own meal, someone else says, “Ellie, can you pass the toast?”

“Ellie-“

“Ellie can eat her own food now.” Uncle Rich says from the head of the table, only a few feet away from me and the demanding kids at my side. I don’t know why, only a few months ago, I opted to sit here. It was a stupid idea. Sometimes the little brats can be so annoying. “She needs to pump up her balloon with more energy.”

I shake my head at him, “Not nice, Uncle Rich.”

“Alpha Grayson,” From across the table and a few seats down William’s soft five year old voice grips both mine, and Uncle Rich’s attention. He pauses, waiting for Uncle Rich to say, “Go head, son,” before saying, “Could you pass me the butter, please?”

I look to Uncle Rich with a straight expression, and he returns the gaze, before at the same time we both burst out laughing. I suppose, everyone watching us, thinks us weird for doing so, but Uncle Rich and I have always seemed to have this mixed up sense of humour that most people in the pack don’t get, giving us many a chance to make some private jokes just for our sharing.

“Ms Elizabeth,” I turn my head quickly to see, no one but Chris’ older brother, Harry, stood there with a smirk on his face. Even being two years older than me, and the future Alpha, he always seems to have time to mock me somehow. And he always proceeds to call me ‘Ms Elizabeth’. “You’ve got mail.”

“Thank you, Haribo.” I use the nickname I always used to call him when I was younger. The one, since he heard for the first time, he has hated since. He doesn’t even eat the things anymore.

A hand reaches over, and places a piece of crisp white paper in front of my plate sat in front of me on the table. I wipe my hands on the napkin on my lap, cleaning them consciously, and then pick it up, studying it. I look to Uncle Rich and ask, “Who do you think it’s from?”

“My guess is the pack doctor; you’re next appointment’s due after all. You haven’t seen him in a while.”

I consider it for a minute, and then agree, turning the letter over and ripping into the back. As I pull out the slip from inside and study it, Kat’s voice travels from all the way at the other end of the table, to me. “So, when does it say?”

I shrug my shoulders, fold it back up and place it on the table once again. “Friday,”

“Are you going to tell Gabriel about this one, or not?” My mother asks from across the table directly, and I wonder for a minute how she knows about the terms. But then, she doesn’t have to, she knows Gabriel’s my mate and she’s also been on my case nearly as much as Kat and Uncle Rich these past few months.

I reply with a simple, “Maybe,” thinking of the terms at the same time as Kat says, “Definitely, she practically promised to him that she would.”