Sickness Makes The Mind Weak

JENNA’S POV:

                Ughh! My head is killin’ me! Why? Wait! Where am I? I shot up and looked around franticly. But, I realized I was in my room at the Curtis’s. I groaned and sat up, immediately regretting it. The room started spinning. I put my hand to my head and groaned again. I mustered up enough strength to stand up. I did, but I wobbled a bit. I finally got my balance then put one foot forward. I took baby steps to the door. I opened the door quietly, making sure not to wake anyone up. I quietly, and slowly made my way to the living room. I saw everyone in the living room in their sleeping positions. I saw everyone except one. ‘Where’s Johnny?’ I thought. I checked the whole house quietly. Making sure not to wake anyone. I thought for a moment. ‘Where could he be? The park maybe?... No he wouldn’t be there this late. Where else?... Wait! I know where he is! Duh! The lot!’ I picked up my jacket. Which I guess Darry dried. I walked to the lot, and sure enough, there he was sleeping on the old mattress covered in newspapers. Why does he do this to himself? I walked up to him and shook his shoulder. He slowly opened his eyes. And when they rested on me he smiled. Then his smile faded.

                “Babe, what are you doin’ out here? You could get worse!” He looked very concerned. What did he mean worse? I felt fine, aside from my slight headache at the moment. Did something happen? He must have seen the confused look on my face because he spoke up. “Jenna? Do you remember what happened?”

                “No not really, all I remember is wakin’ up with a pretty bad headache. Then walkin’ around to find you. But my head don’t hurt no more.” I didn’t want to tell him it still hurt. I didn’t want to worry him. He still had a hurt expression on his face.

                “I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have left. I didn’t mean to worry you…” He trailed off. I just looked at him. My throat was killing me so I decided to talk to him through his mind.

                ‘Johnny? Why do you do that? Why do you leave the one place you’re truly safe, just to come out here? You’re riskin’ bein’ jumped, gettin’ sick, or worse! Johnny, please come back to the house with me! It kills me to see you like this!’ I pleaded in his head.

                ‘Oh alright’ He thought ‘But, only if I get to sleep in your room.’ He smirked at me and I nodded. He stood up and picked me up bridle style and carried me all the way to the house.

                ‘Aren’t I heavy?” I asked in his head. He shook his head.

                ‘Nope. You way like nothin’. You’ve actually gotten lighter. Have you been eatin’?’ He thought while lookin’ at me with concern on his face. I nodded, but he wasn’t buyin’ it.

                ‘Johnny I’m eatin’! I promise!’ I hated lyin’ to Johnny. I hated it! But, I couldn’t just tell him I wasn’t eatin’! Because the truth was, I wasn’t. I had stopped eating about a week ago. I don’t know why but, I just couldn’t. I couldn’t chew, couldn’t swallow. I just hurt my head too much. I think I’m really sick but… I don’t know. Anyway he nodded and carried me inside to my room laid me down, covered me with blankets and slipped in next to me. He wrapped his arm around my waste and before the darkness consumed both of us. I heard one last little thought that made me smile.