To Keep You Safe

A/N: This is awfully short. But it's a preface. But they're delaying the execution in The Witchfinder as I publish this first for your benefit. Now:

Disclaimer: Merlin is not mine. Happy?

Spoilers: Season 2, The Nightmare Begins through the finale

Pairing: Mergana. Sorry. It's my headcanon that Morgana loved Merlin, but here he'll love her back.

PLEASE REVIEW!

"Merlin..." I can see a flicker of hesitation in his eyes, wanting to believe me, but still holding doubt. What if he dismisses my secrets? Or turns me in?

"I believe you."

"You do?" And the glass behind me splinters...and repairs itself. I turn to see the gold fading in the eyes of a warlock. "You believe me because you're this way too."

"Gaius told me to keep it a secret, but it's not my fault if you saw me. What will you do, turn me in to Uther?" As dangerous as the words are, they are spoken in jest, and my face turns from fear to relief.

"How can you live like this, Merlin? In fear every day that Uther will notice you, will send you to be executed with the rest of his criminals?"

"I have to...I should probably go."

"Merlin." He stops and turns, blue eyes wary of me. "Thank you." I have someone like me. Someone in whom I can trust.

I uncork the vial which holds my sleeping draught, though it does little good. What if the serum was keeping me from outbursts of magic, as had occurred last night? Clearly the potency had stopped working if so. With that, I shatter the vial, letting the droplets fall before I clean up the mess, with the new found strength I have found.

A/N: Go read the next chapter. I'm ashamed to even put this on here. So judge me based on the second one, rather than this shoddy writing.