- Chapter 5 -

Beginne am Anfang

"I disagree, if I were her I'd choose you too Kat!"

"You're obligated to say that as my friend!"

Mr Harding spoke up then. "I think you would make a splendid companion, Miss Wheaton; and as I am a stranger, and no gentleman, you must believe me for there is no obligation to flatter."

"Oh I say you charmer you! I admit defeat! You shouldn't be a stranger though, if you live in this small village. How long have you resided in Compton?"

"Twelve years, but the last three I have been at Oxford studying my father's trade; and when I am home I make a habit of staying there."

"That might explain why I don't recall seeing you about town before now, do you plan to stay in Compton then?"

Mr Harding inclined his head to look at her, a casual glance. "If I can find employ. Though, as you inferred, in such a small village there are few people...so that seems unlikely. It is more probable I will have to expand my horizons"

"That is unfortunate, we need more interesting people in this provincial town." Katherine sighed, she was about to say more when Eliza spoke up

"Is this not the place you must leave us?" she asked as they came upon a stile on the fence between the two estates.

"Very observant of you Miss Ritewood." He fixed his gaze upon her with the hint of a smile. "I would have passed it and been late arriving home. Thank you. I greatly enjoyed making your acquaintances."

They said their goodbyes, and the girls hurried back to the castle; with Katherine mildly worried she had dawdled to long on the walk. Upon arriving, the girls parted ways, and Katherine rushed to inform her employer of her return and resume her duties.

☆☆☆

For a young woman raised in a home of more than average means and impeccable breeding - such as Eliza Ritewood and her sisters - it would have been instinct to observe ones station in life by their way of dress. So it was that Eliza knew immediately Thomas Harding was not a gentleman in title, though he may be one in manner. So it also was that she could look upon her beloved Katherine with some alarm and worry, for a servant who paraded under the guise of a Lady was not looked kindly upon by authorities, to say the least. It came as an immense relief to her to hear that her dear Kat might soon (by some miracle) become the Baroness of Rosforte's companion; for not only would that alleviate any possibility of misunderstanding if someone saw Kat in such fine apparel as she now sported, but it would also heighten Katherine's position in life. As a companion to the Baroness she could educate herself, and one day - if misfortune befell her or Miss Compton - could hire herself out as a governess; which was a far better position than a servant, and a far better position than any low-tier tradesman's daughter could ever hope to secure. Though if Eliza were to be honest with herself, she really wondered if Lady Compton, Baroness of Rosforte, was taking her exploits a bit too far by making a farmer's daughter her formal companion. She couldn't imagine the woman's plans for Katherine - however harmless in intent - could turn out well for the young girl in question.

Katherine knew she was lucky, as the daughter of a farmer, to have secured the position of a lady's maid; far less secure her employers regard enough to become her companion. She knew it was not legal to pretend she was a lady, but she did not see herself as doing so; Therefore, she hummed to herself in Lady Compton's dressing room, oblivious of her dear Eliza's worries, thinking of the agreeable young man they had met on the walk and busily mending torn hems and ironing wrinkled pleats.

The Baroness was currently at supper, and Katherine was using the time to freshen and mend her Lady's wardrobe, currently sewing delicate stitches along a small rip caused by an ill-placed heel at some past ball.

The sharp ring of a bell made her jump, and she yelped as she pricked her finger. Sucking on the tender appendage, she glanced at the bell-wall, seeing it was the dining room she was being summoned to. She straightened her skirts and hurried to heed the call.

Katherine curtsied to Baroness Compton in the open door of the opulent dining room. The Baroness sat alone at the end of a long table that stretched nearly the length of the room. Heaps of food sat before her, steaming. Kat's stomach rumbled quietly.

"Come come!" She was waved over with a smile, and the Baroness pointed to a seat next to her, where another setting had been placed. Katherine sat hesitantly. The Baroness continued. "Eat, don't be shy, I have a question and a proposition for you. Firstly, I know you have sisters but I do not know their ages, if you would oblige me."

A highly uncomfortable Katherine awkwardly poked some tender meats and veggies onto her plate. She had never imagined herself eating at the table with her employer, and was entirely sure this was not what a Lady's maid was ever allowed to do. "Betsey is turning nineteen this fall and Cecilia is not yet sixteen m'lady."

"Splendid, do you believe them capable of your current duties?"

"To be sure Miss Compton," She answered slowly, unsure whether she should be worried for her position, or if Mr. Harding's prediction earlier this evening was coming true much sooner than anticipated. "If I am to be honest, Betsey is much better than I with the needle and thread, and has a keen eye for fashion. Cecilia is ambitious and quick to learn, and I believe in a few years she will outdo us both."

"Splendid." Baroness Compton chewed thoughtfully on a sweet meat. "Have both come tomorrow morning early, if your mother can spare them, and you can train them to be abigails as well."

"Do you have an employer in mind for her then, Miss Compton? You do not surely need three Lady's maids...am I to be replaced?..."

The Baroness guffawed. "Don't worry yourself so my dear!" She popped a steamed veggie in her mouth and winked at Kat, "You will not be abandoned!" Then seeing Katherine had barely touched her meal, she gestured at the feast before her with a brandished silver fork. "Eat child! Gracious you should know me well enough by now to know I care not for usual proprieties; don't think I didn't hear the complaints of a famished tummy earlier, I'm not such a beast I'd feast in front of the hungry!"

Katherine was sufficiently put at ease then, and took the liberty of a second and tentative third slice of caramelized pork-belly, with a bright smile for the delighted Miss Compton.

☆☆☆

Night fell; and with the Baroness now slumbering, Katherine packed up to head home. As she exited her bedroom adjoining her Lady's, she halted beside the creme dress that hung beside the door. It's soft chiffon skirts and short puff-sleeves held the slightest shade of rosy-gold, and the entire dress was dotted with tiny, delicate, silk flowers of the same color. She had picked it for its calm, understated colour, and minimal embellishments; but it still looked to her to be one of the most beautiful gowns she'd ever have the pleasure of wearing. If she were honest with herself, she couldn't wait to don it and feel the glorious fabric brush her skin; to see a ball, with her very own eyes, for the first time in her life! Her heart weighed heavy. How could one so joyfully anticipate an event, yet at the same time so desperately dread it!