Perserverance

18/5/14

Yesterday I climbed a mountain. Ya you read that right, a mountain about an hour southwest of my home. It was one of those days when you realize it's to early in the season to be climbing because there is still snow everywhere. It was also constantly raining during the whole climb, but lightly which was nice on the face. Now you may be thinking that I was some kind of miracle man climbing a mountain in the rain, but honestly it was just walking up a steep hill for 90 minutes so don't bother being amazed.

I love being out in nature because everything is beautiful, and not forced beauty. All the trees and environment are just there doing their own thing not even noticing you, it's my favourite thing in this world possibly. Before I started the climb I turned to my dad and said "whatever we do today I want to keep climbing until it's impossible to climb anymore". that's exactly what happened but with more fun, thanks to adversity. there was a small ridge we were on and I wanted to go over to the top but to do that we had to walk through a small forested area and up a little hill after that. the one thing we didn't see coming was that the forest area had snow in it, as deep as your waist. That snow was only for 200 metres or so (600 feet) and incredibly hard to get through. About half way through the snow we ran into a group of young beings and passed them (they eventually gave up and turned around). we got through the hard part and it was just an easy little walk after that. the view at the top of there was definitely worth it I must say. from the top we had a kind of clear view of 300 degrees around us. The rain made it difficult to see my home town some 70 kilometres away but we also could see rolling hills turning into massive mountains as we turned ourselves. At the top it was windy and cold, but still one of the most gorgeous views I could imagine.

On the way back down the mountain, it came to my head what success truly is. Success is a hard time taking climb, it's steep and long and then you can see the top. Once you get that close the challenges get harder and those moments are difficult and many people give up. Hopefully when you get past that point it takes a little more time to persevere, then you're at the top of everything and no one can touch you. It's not about the steady climb, it's about the hard parts you didn't see coming that you have to push through to be at the top of the world (but not literally, I didn't climb Everest)!