Chapter 3 - Wrecking Crew

Savanah's POV:

"So whose idea was it again to make the team's name Wrecking Crew?" I ask. I found the name funny.

"It was me." Ace smiles, puffing out his chest. "I just thou-"

"It fits perfectly. Susy and I will destroy this place!" Alex states and the two share a high five.

"Shhh!" Sam quickly hushes the two. "Did you two forget we're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse."

"Oh yea...whoops." Susy says scratching the back of her neck. "Or as Gamma would say 'Uff da'!"

"Yes, yes. I have taught you well." Vienna says wiping a fake tear from her eye.

"I don'-"

Graaaghhhh!

"Well, too late for stealth now." Codex says. "Not a problem though. We can easily...take....care....of....oh shit that's a lot of zombies."

"So what's the plan now?" Thorn asks.

"I say...we run!" Codex commands and we all nod. "Don't get split up and stay at least with a partner!"

"We'll meet at the gas station if you get lost!" Ace adds as we all began to run our separate ways. I try to stay with Vienna, but when a zombie lunges out from behind a bush causes me to turn tail and flee. But to my dismay, I find that no one is in sight forcing me to continue by myself. I feel panic begin to rise in the pit of my stomach, but I force myself to keep running until my legs ache. Which isn't too long to be honest, and before I know it I'm forced to catch my breath as I lean against a brick wall.

Grauuugg!

Gasping I look back to see a lone zombie stumbling towards me, shakingly I raise my bat as it gets closer when it's within reach I swing the bat at the head with all my might, which was more so considering the adrenaline coursing through my veins. It makes a visible indent but the zombie is only fazed for a few moments before turning towards me again. Raising the bat again I bash the zombie's face in one last time and the zombie falls to the ground, but for safety precaution, I slam the bat against the brain once more to make sure it can't follow me.

Panting from the effort I clutch my raising heart as I stare at the zombie's disfigured body, scared that if I moved my eyes from it for more than a second that it'd come back and bite me...literally.

"You got some arm, doll." I hear a whistle before clapping. "I was gonna step in, but it seems like you had it handled."

"Wait...you just sat back and watched!" I screech and he jumps in surprise. "I could have died!"

"But-"

"Nope. No buts! You sir, are an ass!" I huff before storming past him. The nerve of that guy. To think he'd actually sit back and watch me die...but still...he's kind of cute.

-x-

Groaning from exhaustion I lean against an abandoned car on the opposite end as Ace and I watch the others beginning to show up. Surprisingly I was one of the first. The first ones were Vienna and Tengu. The next to arrive are Thorn and Sam. And last but not least Susy, Codex, and Alex.

"Alright so what do we do from here?" I ask, and Codex is the first to answer, as usual. It seems like he had all the answers.

"Well since the objective of the game is to find a cure I suppose we should make our way over to the hospital." he suggests and while the boys nod we just look at each other.

"But the hospital is way downtown, it'd take us days to actually get there!" Sam cuts in.

"We could always take this car." Thorn suggests patting the van that Ace and I are leaning against. "Problem is there isn't much gas left in it."

"Good luck with that." Alex scoffs and we all turn to face him. "By the looks of the gas station state, the pumps probably won't work."

"Matrix is probably right." Codex says before gasping. "Wait, Gamma Ray, you got the position of Craftsman right?"

"Um...yes?" she answers. Though I can tell she's just as confused as the rest of us, if not more.

"Perfect. Come over here for a second then, love." Codex gestures and she hesitantly makes her way over. "Alright, now we need something to open this pump with."

"I got this! Step aside girls!" Susy cracks her neck to the side before stepping towards the rusted pump door.

"Alpha! Did you just assume out genders!" Sam gasps and the group snickers.

"Yes. Yes I did." the pyromaniac girl says sticking her tongue out before lodging her crowbar in the door and heaving the metal panel open. "Have no fear the Hispanic is here." She blows the rust and dust off her weapon.

"Good thinking, love." Oliver compliments laying a hand on her shoulder, though I notice his hand lingers a few seconds too long. "Alright Gamma...can I just call you Ray?" the Norwegian girl just nods. "Alright. Ray just take a look at the insides and try to find anything wrong with it."

"But I don't know anything about machinery or engineering." She says confused.

"Trust me." he smiles and she hesitates before nodding and kneeling down in front of the tangled mess of wires and pipes.

The air around our group falls silent for a few seconds as she brushes her hands across the wires.

"Anything?" I ask and she just shakes her head before freezing.

"Wait...I...I think I know what's wrong." She gasps in disbelief. "Quick someone get me an open end wrench!"

-x-

"There. I think I'm finished." Vienna nods before standing back up.

"Alright, let's try it." Ace says and everybody watches in anticipation as he places the nozzle to the pump into the car's fuel tank. All's quiet for a few seconds before sputtering is heard and the smell of gasoline fills the air.

"It...it actually works." I gasp, before hugging my friend. "You did it boo! You actually did it!"

"I did! Oh my gosh! I did!" she hugs me back and we both just laugh.

"Oi, losers! Get in we're going Zombie killin'!" Alex shouts beeping the car horn as everyone whisper yells for him to shut up.