Chapter 1: Something New

Qrow woke up to the hard knocks from his door.
"Agent Branwen, we've arrived."
"I'm coming I'm coming."

Taking a few minutes to get ready for his report with Ozpin, Qrow took two pieces of toast and a bottle of wine. It was the only thing they had on the ship and being alcohol deprived for a week he gladly accepted it. He opened up his scroll to read his messages and he got two who's recipients read Ozzy and Jimmy.

Ozzy: Qrow I'd like for you to come meet me in my office asap, there's something I would like to inform you of when you get back.

Jimmy: Branwen, I've assigned one of my subordinates to escort you throughout your stay in beacon and make sure you go where you need to go. The officer should already be there an hour before your arrival.

An escort? Qrow chuckled. Ozpin knows me too well.

________________________________________________________________________________

The hull of the airship was opened and already Qrow could see the signature white Atlas military uniforms that he dreaded of so much. As he stepped out into the sunlight he stretched his arms out and gave out a big yawn. He heard a taut voice behind him causing him to tilt his head 180 degrees at the direction. "Mr. Branwen."

________________________________________________________________________________

"Mr. Branwen." called out Winter as she approached the tall man from behind. He tilted his head to her voice yet somehow didn't look at her. "My name is Officer Schnee, I'll be your escort throughout your stay."

"A Schnee..." She could see him pondering about her last name.

"Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing." He continued to extend his arms and legs. "I would like you to walk ten feet away from me while I'm heading to Ozpin's office if that's fine with you."

"Yes sir, I understand. Whenever you're ready I'll be behind you."

"Great." He said as he finished his exercises. "Let's go."

Winter's first impression of Branwen was that he was a strange fellow. She couldn't get a good look at him, he didn't even try to face her and also asked for her to stay away from him a good amount of distance while heading to Ozpin. Even weirder, as they traveled he traveled the path less taken, where there wasn't much people in the street. Sometimes even taking alleyways, at first she thought he was lost, but as soon as he would see someone, he would take the initiative to walk to the side farthest away from them. Soon they reached the elevator to Ozpin's. He opened the door to the elevator and finally turned around to push the buttons. "Get in." He said nonchalantly while looking at her for the first time. What she saw made her catch her breath for a second that felt like an eternity.

His facial features were defined, least to say. He had a sturdy jaw line with angular cheekbones, eyes that naturally looked trimmed, he did not smile, as he held his steady gaze into her eyes. But that's what bothered her the most. His eyes. They looked tired...No, tired wasn't the word for it, more like. Melancholy, tragic, and sorrowful. Yet, there was no mistaking it. This man was definitively attractive and his features were captivating.

"Of course sir." Winter walked in, she could feel her cheeks flush with a strange feeling of warmth. Professionalism. She thought. She squeezed her cheeks and looked up at the screen that counted the floor number, she saw him at the corner of his eyes, looking up at it too. He then took a deep breathe and exhaled and looked at his shoes. She couldn't help but want to ask him what was wrong. He looked as if he went through something inconsolable. She instantly felt her heart pang with concern. Winter had never seen someone look so distraught.