Chapter Six: The Neck

Start from the beginning

She watched the woman, she was talking to a man. He placed his hand on hers, a smile enveloping both of their faces. The man spoke, "I love you, Yamika Shizi."

She responded, "I love you to, Makia Toru."

Keomi decided those words should be the last the woman ever spoke, at least they would be poetic. Keomi grabbed her crystal dagger by the blade and threw. The crystal flew the air creating sparkles of sunlight across the sunny sky. The dagger pierced the woman's neck, cutting her vocal cords and slicing her throat.

Her eyes stayed open as she slumped in her chair, blood dripping out of her neck. Dead. But at the very least, the woman did not suffer and Keomi didn't have to feel the blood on her either. The man, Toru, tears swept down his face as he tried to suppress the blood. A a single tear slipped down Keomi's face as she watched them.

Then she turned away lowering her invisibility armor, hearing the murmuring of an ability user. They had seen that the dagger was made out of crystals. Keomi quickly escaped heading back to headquarters, knowing the murder weapon had shattered once she had gotten too far away.

The perfect murder weapon. Deadly upon impact. Disappearing before the police could come and find it.

Akutagawa was waiting near her door, his face blank while he stared at her. She simply nodded in confirmation, watching him kick his foot off the wall. He lead her to the Boss's office, to report that she had taken this mission on alone.

"Sir, I took Shizuka to the location and then left. She killed the target on her own." Akutagawa spoke noticing the darkening of his Boss's face.

"I thought I had told you that she was not ready for field work alone yet. You are training her still, Aku-" The Boss's voice was cold and deadly, though it never raised. Instead it seeped into Keomi, she tried to fight a shiver. Still, this was her fault.

"I made him Sir, I told him I needed to prove myself. That I could be valuable to our cause." Shizuka spoke her voice taking on a calculating and coldness that Akutagawa had never heard from her before. Yet, she was protecting him, there was no doubt about that.

"That does not matter Keomi-Chan, I specifically told him-" The Boss started his eyes softening a fraction at the sight of her. She did not waiver.

"Sir, with all respect, if I can not kill on my own then I am not fit to be in the mafia. You might as well cut me down right here, right now if this is the case." Keomi looked the boss dead in the eyes making sure her point got across. If he didn't trust her to kill, then she had no business being here. Not that she would let him kill her. She still had a mission of her own to accomplish.

A smile broke through the Boss's face and he reached out and patted the top of her head. Ruffling her hair a bit while she continued to stare at him. She resisted the urge to clench her fists, she had to play the game. She had to be someone she's not.

"You've grown so much in such a short time, Keomi-Chan!" The Boss lifted his hand from her head taking a few steps back, his smile still just as wide. Akutagawa did not resist his urge to clench his fists, he felt an odd sense in his gut when the Boss approached his protege.

"If you're not excelling your failing, Sir." Keomi spoke her voice void of emotion and her stance lacking any words. She turned seemingly dismissing herself, "Let me know when you want someone else dead."

Akutagawa's eyes flitted towards her them widening a fraction. Was she asking the boss to assign them assassinations specifically over any other type of case? She had barely been able to feel the blood on her skin, that's why he had given her those gloves, how was she going to handle this.