Inhaling sharply, I started off "I heard something that I shouldn't have outside of the school today. I know it sounds insane but you have to believe me. Danielle is the culprit I heard her say it with my own two ears. And I don't- I don't know how but Farkle is involved somehow too."

Lucas offered me a glass of water and gestured for me to sit down. "Are you listening to yourself Maya? We both don't want it to be true but you're accusing those two of something major right now. I hope you understand the consequences if you're wrong."

I drank the water and set the glass back down on the table roughly, causing him to jump back slightly. "I can't make these things up, you have to trust me. Okay?"

Lucas frowned and briefly thought over what he was about to agree to. "Are you sure you heard everything correctly?"

I nodded eagerly. "Positive."

The corners of his lips twitched up into a smile. "Okay."

~

As soon as school ended, I ran straight to the police department. "I know who did it! I know who killed Mason." I declared as I swung the doors open. Immediately, all eyes were on me. The secretaries looked up from typing to glare at me, the interns stopped in their tracks, even the whispering amongst the visitors disappeared.

"I know who did it." I repeated again, slower, more carefully.

Detective Larsen and two other police officers I didn't recognize pushed their way to the front. "We already have the culprit. Your little girlfriend won't be going anyone no matter what you say." The detective laughed.

I glared at him straight in his eyes and clenched my fists. This was the same man that ruined everything between Riley and I. "Go along now," he offered placing two hands on my shoulders and firmly leading me towards the door. "Kids like you shouldn't get involved in things you don't understand. Stick to painting your nails and-"

I turned around quickly, flinging his hands off my shoulders. "It was your daughter." I growled. "Danielle is a dirty, lying murderer." I said confidently, without breaking eye contact with him. I briefly thought back to how Shawn used to be involved in Danielle's life. It's kind of a sad downgrade from how she went from having Shawn to him as a stepfather.

The man laughed sarcastically and pretended my words had no impact on him. But from the way his eyes widened and his throat gulped, I could tell. He was nervous. He knew the truth.

I've never been one to make claims without having evidence but this one was different. A certain tug in my gut confirmed that Danielle really was the murderer. Detective Larsen knew, and that's why he's been trying so hard to convict Riley. He wanted to protect his stepdaughter.

"Her and Farkle plotted something together, I overheard at school." I stated, breaking the silence.

Immediately, the detective shook out of his trance and pushed away any signs of nervousness. "Farkle Minkus? As in the son of one of the most trusted men in New York City? Now you're just speaking nonsense." He said, looking to the audience around us for approval.

A few hums and nods made their way through the crowd but nothing too significant. "Maya, if you don't stop making these false accusations, you could be charged with slander." He threatened. What a typical move for a shady, greasy detective.