Chapter one

I ducked my head swiftly as I shuffled my dirty converse into the high school that I definitely missed over the summer, making sure my presence wasn't noticed by anyone. I pulled my hood up over my uncombed,messy black hair as I walked into the outdated hallways and made my way to my locker. A hand slammed next to my face making the locker next to me shake. They—whoever was behind me—pulled down my hood forcefully, making me flinch, and laughed.

"With that hood I almost thought it wasn't you, Jackson," said a painfully familiar voice, "it would've been a shame if you walked right by us without saying hello." Once again addressing me by my last name, a pet peeve they knew well enough I had. I never understood why they didn't just all me Adrian. I sighed and faced the trio behind me.

"What do you want?" I say showing my dark under eyes to them, matching my hair.

"Don't tell me you're a different Adrain we met at my summer party," Alex laughed causing me to smell his cigarette stained breath. I turned my head against the locker and shivered at the dark memories I desperately tried to forget. I tried to push Alex out of the way but he grabbed my wrist tightly and gave me a smirk that wooed every girl in this god damn town.

"Let go of me," I say looking at him in his dark green eyes that pierced through my heart—that is if I still have one.

"That's not what you said before," Kaden, the quarterback behind Alex, smirked at me. I stared at Kaden in complete hatred and felt my eyes burning. I never said anything. I couldn't. I snatched my wrist back from Alex and threw a punch in his jaw. Due to me being the literal skinniest guy alive, it had zero affect.
Alex held his jaw and chuckled lightly.

"Tsk tsk tsk see, Jackson, this is what got you into the last situation," Alex smirked as he motioned Roy, the receiver on the football team, to me. Roy punched me in the jaw making me slam into the lockers causing me to groan. I slid down and put my hands up in defense, which didn't do much good. Roy continued kicking me and I felt the bruises already forming on my recent ones. Alex pulled me up by my hair and got so close that our breaths were colliding and our nose were touching.
I wanted to scream, yell, call for help but I physically couldn't. Maybe it was fear, no. It was definitely fear. Fear means that golden smile, those straight brown strands that fall over his piercing blue eyes, and everything and anything that defines him. Alex. I shiver anytime his name is mentioned and that goes for only him and not his group, which didn't do nearly as much damage as Alex did to me.

"Fag," he whispers in my ear as he let me go leaving shivers down my spine. They walked off in the opposite direction and as soon as they turned the corner I let a tear fall out of the corner of my eyes.
What's weird is how we can literally feel emotional pain. Just thinking of Alex made me feel violated and made my heart clench tightly and made me feel as if I couldn't breathe. This school day is already ruined might as well go home.

I shut my locker forcefully and walked out to the school. I already knew I was going to cry as I felt my eyes heating up. I didn't care who heard me, it's a small town and everyone probably hates me with a burning passion. My face flushed as I wiped my eyes with my black sleeve. I then felt someone running into me. I wiped my eyes and saw a man—teen? He was on top of me and seemed hurried.

"I-I'm sorry, man, I wasn't looking where I was going," I apologized as I got up quickly. I held out my hand to the guy and soon saw his features. He had a carved smile that was scared into his pale skin but I shrugged it off. It could've been a tattoo or he's just going through some shit, no judgment.

"Yeah, watch it kid," he says grabbing ahold of my hand. I thought he was going to pull himself up but he ended up pulling me to the ground forcefully and gotten up by himself.

"Motherfucker," I muttered under my breath as I began walking again.