"Everything?" Minho mocked, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah. Everything. I don't get how you guys can walk around and think that everything is just okay!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms up exasperatedly.

I received odd glances from the Gladers around us. I even got hushed by a few. But did I ever acknowledge them? Nope. If they didn't want to hear my ranting, they can happily leave.

"Keep it down, Greenie—"

"Quit it with the Greenie crap. I'm not the Greenie anymore." I cut Minho off, giving him a pointed look.

"Then shut it, shank. We were all like you once. Worried about every shucking thing that was around every shucking corner. But you wanna know how we stay sane? Work. That's how. We work our asses off to keep our minds off of klunk like that. 'Cause if we continued to stress ourselves out on 'everything'," He quoted before continuing his lecture, "then we might as well throw ourselves into the Maze just as the Doors are closing."

I heard the doors of Homestead open and slam close, giving me an excuse to look away from Minho's sharp look. I saw Thomas awkwardly shift back and forth on the balls of his feet, surveying everyone in Homestead. His eyes landed on me and I instantly froze.

His eyes. Where have I seen them before?

He took a step forward but was instantly cut off by the cringing sound of Gally's scratchy voice, "Hey, look, it's the newest addition to Glade. How ya' doing, Greenbean?"

I looked back to Minho, nudging his shoulder to get his attention. He turned back to me with furrowed brows. Not of annoyance, which I myself makes me slightly surprised at, but more of interest.

"Does Gally always pick on the new Gladers?" I whispered.

"Basically." Minho shrugged, whispering.

"I bet the kid already klunked his pants after hearin' good ol' Benny scream like a girl. Need a new diaper, shuck-face?" Gally taunted Thomas.

"My name is Thomas." Thomas corrected, standing straight with furrowed brows, confused by the taller boy's statement.

I felt a shiver roll down my spine, the tickle and hum of familiarity still fizzing beneath my ribcage. My head began to hurt as the sound of people talking buzzed across my cranium.

I continued to study Thomas while I tried to focus on what the voices were talking about this time. 'Cause that doesn't sound freaky at all.

The voices.

A boy and a girl.

They sounded young.

The girl was taunting the boy.

Best friends?

The girl was joking with the boy.

Nothing hurtful.

The boy sounded like he was whining.

The girl was laughing.

She called him a name.

Jokingly.

The boy was annoyed.

He corrected her.

He said his name.

I couldn't understand it.

The girl laughed loudly.