Chapter 29

I stared at the paper with my mouth gaped opened. What? I feel blur now... But... Ah well! I sighed as I set the paper on the bed. This is just too much information to handle... And somehow, I could 'see' the person's name flash in my head but not long enough for me to grab it...

It's like déjà vu... As if I know that person.

And that was when someone touched me gently on the shoulder. I didn't even flinch. I didn't even show any reaction to the touch. I just sat there, switching my gaze between the laptop screen and the paper that was flapping on the bed due to the wind from the fan.

I can't believe what I had just read with my own eyes... It's too much for me to absorb in one go. I totally ignored the person behind me and continued spacing out.

"Hey," someone whispered into my ear gently, as if trying to comfort me.

But it's not helping. Actually, it's just more useless than anything.

I just ignored the voice, not bothering to see who the owner of the voice was, my body tensing up slightly. I felt the hand leave my shoulder. I heard soft footsteps pacing around in my room sounding hurried and hasty, but I was too caught up in my own world to actually bother to find out who was in the same room as me.

And all of a sudden, my laptop snapped shut.

At first I thought that it had closed on its own accord, which made me really surprised, and I jumped a little. And that was when I noticed a hand on my laptop. My eyes trailed up the arm of that person, slowly but surely making its way to his face.

First the eyes. Those striking grey eyes. Then, that brown hair. And overall, the softened look on his face. I know this guy, without doubt. I know that person way too well.

It's Gray.

And he's staring at me curiously.

And suddenly, a question crossed my mind. Did he see the email that I was reading just now? I hope he didn't; I don't want him to know. I want to keep the fact that Desmond is contacting me to myself. No one should know about this except me and Desmond and whoever he wants to tell.

However, one glance at his face tells me otherwise. He definitely saw it. But the question is, did he read its contents fully? But he might suspect something... Considering that he knows that I do not – or rather, rarely – receive emails...

"You saw it, didn't you?" I asked quietly, using all my willpower not to raise my voice or to speak loudly, because I know that if I do speak loudly, my voice will break.

He shot me a questioning and bewildered look, trying to act like he's innocent. That may be fooling other people, but not me. I know him too well to not know that this is just an act.

"You saw it right? Don't try to lie to me," I repeated louder this time, and, as I had suspected, my voice broke.

He tried to act innocent again. It was a futile attempt, considering that he's trying to lie to me. I'm not that stupid.

"Tell me. Don't try to lie," I said firmly, though the tears welling up in my eyes make me look just like some weak girl.

Why must I cry? I have stopped crying very often these past few weeks, but don't tell me that it's all coming back to me? Gray's eyes watched as my tears streamed down my cheeks in a never ending flow. I didn't even bother to wipe all the tears off. I just let it flow freely, my view of things slightly distorted from the tears gathered in my eyes.

His gaze on me softened a little, but I could see that his body was still tensed up. He made it seem as if he was hiding something from me. And maybe he is, but I just don't know it. Sucks to be me right?