Part 27: Bad News And Arrogant Souls.

"...well well well....here we are again Nikki. My beautiful, sweet, gorgeous Nikki. You know, I'm a little disappointed in you. I thought you had more, to say, standards then to pick a low life like Paul as your so called 'lover'....well that's if you can actually call him that! The poor soul probably doesn't even know what he's doing!...What you need is a REAL MAN. A man who knows how to send you wild in the bedroom department, a man who knows what you need and can satisfy you in everyway possible...And you had that man, but you threw him away and left him...How foolish of you!...But I will get you back Nikki, even if its the last thing I do, mark my words, it wont be the last you hear of me Nikki, I'm coming back to claim you as my own.."

I gasped heavily as I shot up from my hospital bed, the sun beating onto my newly laundered sheets and down onto my sore and swollen face and my matted, tangled curls. I looked around the room desperately for any sign that Nico had been tampering in my hospital room. To no avail. In my search for clues, my attention was shifted pleasantly to the person who was sleeping at my feet, insulating my sheets and keeping me comfortably warm. A warm smile carved effortlessly across my face. Paul was sound asleep and his soft snores confirmed my suspicions, as I laid back carefully, resting my head on the freshly plumped pillows. It was plain to see that the nurse had been in, fussing and pottering around my room, making sure everything was alright and perfect for me. And it was soon clear by the mismatched footsteps that coated the floor that the nurse wasn't the only person that have paid me a vist within the last hour. I sighed heavily. Why couldn't Nico just leave me alone? I had made it clear to him I wanted nothing more to do with him, and now even if that meant giving up my seat in Mercedes and waiting until the new season to renew my contract. Just was I was deep in thought with this complicated fleat, Ross Braun strode into the room with no preempted warning.

I opened my mouth to speak but I was immediately silenced by him and his wavering hand. "Now I know what you're going to say Nikki, and as much as we are glad that you aren't dead.." Urgh! How insensitive! He sighed heavily and wiped the sweat that was forming on his brow before standing securely again his eyes fixated on my forehead for confidence "Look, this isn't easy Nikki, but the fact is, we're already lining up a replacement driver to fill your shoes...its shame because you are a brilliant driver, but we can't risk you hurting yourself again and getting out of hospital too soon..." My eyes drew away from his gaze. I should have expected this. I should have been ready. But no matter what, it still hurt like nothing I had ever experienced in my life. I felt betrayed. "...Look I'm really sorry Nikki, please don't take it personally, it's just in the teams best interests" His voice was more stern and final this time, which didn't make much difference because I had no strength to argue with him. I was completely numb. I sighed heavily before my mouth drapped open carelessly to allow words to escape my fragile body. "Yes of course..." He didn't bother saying anything else. Ross simply nodded and left, leaving nothing more then what he came in with. Except more hurt and sorrow was plastered all over my face, though I knew it was to be expected. I looked down at the crumpled sheets below my feet. Paul was still sleeping soundly, snoring softly into his arms. He was lucky. His future was secure. But mine? I wasn't so sure anymore.