Part 11: Pole Position Hopes And Suspicions About Nico.

".....Yes, yes. Ofcourse hunny, it's never a bad time for you......Ofcourse babe, just hang in there........Well I have got to go somewhere tonight, very important, but I promise to come and see you before the race....Ofcourse hun, I've gotta go babe, seeya....". Who was that, I wondered, as I finished snooping in the lounge. Nico, with his back to the door trying his best to muffle his voice, was talking to someone other than a mechanic. It was quite obvious he was very close to this person, as the frequent use of "Hunny" and "Babe" was a complete giveaway. I was starting to get alittle suspicious as to whether Nico really ment everything he said to me, after all, he is known to be alittle bit of a player. Maybe it was best not to get my hopes up about him? Ohh but he was so gorgeous! And so loving too.....I tried my hardest to put it at the back of my mind as I leaned away from the lounge door and walked over to the pit wall. It wasnt easy trying to keep a balance between my personal and my professional lives. Especially if you happen to be a women in a mans world. That part made it sometimes near impossible to cope. But I suppose having Paul there was a massive help, he seemed like the only person in the world who understood me, everyone else just thought they knew me. It's no wonder I sometimes dream about us being together. But I knew thats not what he wanted. I mean, he has better fish to fry. I'm not deserving of someone so delicate and gentle as Paul, and even if he did love me in that way, I dont see how it would work. It might ruin our perfect friendship and then we would just go back to where we started. Strangers.

I must have been day dreaming awhile as Freddy came charging over to the pit wall and gave me and good shake. He was gripping hold of my shoulders so tightly, his dirty nails began to dig into my skin, making me yelp in pain. "Are you deaf woman?! We've been calling you for the past 5 minutes! Q3 is about to start and we need you to get yourself sorted if we have any hope of getting pole today! Come on!". It was as if his voice was in surround sound and it was sure as hell bursting my ear drums. I sighed heavily. I had had enough of men ordering me and around for one day, and I had a right mind to tell him where to shove it. But I knew he was right, so I trudged obediently after him, cursing harshly under my breath. Understandably, Freddy was defiantly anticipating a Pole Position from me today and at the very least a 3rd place on the grid from Nico. I knew that sometimes it was hard to match up to his huge expectations, but atleast I could say everytime I never once backed away from his challenges. The same could certainly be said for Nico too.

Upon entering the garage, I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, Nico slyly slipping away, trying to hide himself behind the pile of used Pirelli's. He had his mobile firmly thrust to his ear, while his other hand was placed carelessly in his overall pocket. My head lowered as I realised who it probably was. That "someone". Call me paranoid, but some how, my mind had become consumed with dark thoughts about him playing me. Did he think this was funny? I laid my trust upon him, but, if my suspicions where correct, he wanted to leave me as soon as he got the chance? Well we'll just have to find out if he really is what I first thought him to be, just hours before.

"......And theres the green light being shown there, indicating the start of the last of these unpredictable qualifying sessions. Tell me Crofty, what do you think Nikki will pull out of the bag now? I mean shes looked fantastic, going fastest in the last two sessions and in the last free practice. Pole has defiantly got to be on the cards for her right now......" Martin Brundle's voice blared from the lounge, as I was slipping my gloves on for quite possibly the last time today. It was weird how I had, had such strange success throughout the morning; it was fair to say that either it was my experience that got me this far, or Lady Luck was sitting indefiantly on my shoulder. I was hoping for pole, just like every other driver here, but I knew I was capable of it. Though my old team may have questioned my methods of getting what I want, they couldnt argue that I brought them success and 2 race wins and numerous point scoring weekends to show for it. I was hoping this year with Mercedes would really prove my worth, and that it was a mistake on Team Lotus' part for letting me go. Stuffing my helmet onto my head, I was ready to go. I felt great, and all the stress and worry about my personal issues suddenly just melted away, as Q3 was now at my finger tips. "Right, everything seems to be in order. It's your call Nick" Freddy called from his office, shuffling some boring-but-obviously-quite-important paperwork that he tossed into his pigeon hole before striding towards me. He still had his reading glasses on, which made me struggle to contain my laughter. I sound cruel, but he did look quite funny. "What are you giggling at eh? I didnt know pole was that funny!" Freddy exclaimed, clearly confused. "Dont worry Fred, it's nothing" though I was still laughing as I said this. "Nothing! Well if you say so! Anyway, this car isnt going to drive itself, you better get out there before the others decide to make a move" and with a flourish, I was ushered into the car, and fixed into my seat before I could even believe it. "Now we both know you wanna aim for pole position, but we'll be perfectly happy if you end up 2nd or 3rd. 3rd might be better though, you dont wanna be on the dirty side of the track!" Freddy blabbed while helping me fix the steering wheel in place. I know what he really ment was pole position was defiantly what we want. And I knew I was gonna try my hardest to get it. "Thanks Fred. You know pole is the only thing thats good enough for me. If Nico can get 2nd aswell that would be even better still" I mumbled from the depths of my helmet. "Alright well I'm going over to the pit wall now, just remember it'll be either me or Ross on team radio" and without another word, he was off and out of sight before I had even finished my Monster energy drink. I could just about make out Freddy's head from the pit wall, though I was alittle uncertain as to whether it was his. My vision had become awfully obstructed and the visers didnt help either. From beneath my helmet, Freddy's voice fired up and echoed inside, piercing my ear drums until they where fit to burst. "Okay, we are ready to go. You have 8 minutes left of this session, so dont be afraid to do a warm up lap first. Currently there is one driver on the track, Vitaly Petrov, but he will be coming into the pits soon. We've been given the all clear" I didnt need to be told twice. Contracting the limiter, I drove out of the garage with ease, spotting Nico wave frantically from his garage on the way. This was it. I could almost smell pole position, it was so close. It was almost within reach. But I had to stay focused and as I reached the line and released the limiter, I knew there was no stopping me now.

(Part 12 coming soon! :D)