Part 26: Truth Or Dare?

"..wake up Nikki, please wake up baby...please for me..." I could hear Paul's persistent cries over me as for the first time in 24 hours, my eyelids flickered up and down, desperate for some light to penetrate the surface of my eyes and for everything to finally come into view. I could hear Paul's gasps as he gripped my shoulders and held me out at arms length, looking to see if my eyes would finally allow me to obtain consciousness. I fought longingly, as my eyes opened wide open, although everything was still a blur. I regained feeling lightly in my hands, desperately fighting to squeeze them tightly shut. I heard Paul's hurried gasps "Oh my god! Nurse! Nurse! COME IN HERE!" My hands clenched together in a tight ball, forcing my nails to dig deep into my hands as my eyes began to make a vivid picture before my eyes. The outline of figures became more apparent and colours started to draw away from one another intensely with every second that crept by. Figures started to merge as one and I could finally see the outline of Paul's face as it consumed the entirety of my field of vision and forced my lips into a smile, feeling excited and joyous that the first thing I could see was my gorgeous man. "Nikki! Nikki! Say something for me hun...please say something.." I opened my mouth softly and let my vocals take over, relaxing "P-pa-aul?..." my eyes focused as finally everything was clear as day, Pauls' smile filling my heart with love and pride. "Nikki! Oh Nikki!" I leaned forward as I held my arms out longing for him, wanting to cuddle him as I had missed out on doing so for so long. He immediately responded, and held me close, cradling me softly as I could see the nurse dash in, a worried expression plastered across her face until she saw me awake. She rushed over and smiled softly, pushing me gently back downwards onto the limp, used hospital bed. "Welcome back Nikki! Its good to see you're awake now, but you need to rest a little bit more. That was a nasty accident you was involved in! We thought we might loose you, someone up there obviously is rooting for you" I knew she meant well but her comment set me uneasy, now knowing that my life could have gone either one way or the other. Life or death. I sighed heavily as I watched the nurse pottering around the heart monitor and testing my blood pressure before turning to me and stating "We're going to keep you in for more testing, but you should be fine to leave in 2 days or so" and with that, she left before I could say anything in reply, leaving me and Paul to our own devises. For now.

"How're you feeling baby girl.." I heart Paul whisper, leaning forward and kissing my forehead. "I'm better darling...especially now the first thing I saw when waking up was you.." I smiled softly and kissed his forehead back, smiling softly in his wake. I was exhausted but I knew I was desperate to stay awake for him, he had after all spent all this time waiting for me to awake from my coma. But before I could think of another thing to say my eyes grew heavy and fluttered closed, leaving Paul to watch over me attentively again...