"Are you really doing okay Sammy? Something just seems, different about you now."

"I am Mum. There's just been some work stuff going on and I'm happy to be here for Christmas, but it would be nice if Dad could just be nice for five minutes you know?"

Since coming back all I had heard from him was a grunt of hello and if I could pass the butter at breakfast. Real father daughter bonding kind of stuff.

"I know darling. You know what he's like. Come help me pack up these cookies for tonight and then I'll be off and you can have your alone time." She smiles, kissing my forehead before getting up. "Maybe you could come, just for a little bit. Gwen would appreciate it and the boys. You know how much they miss you too."

Dad and my brothers would already be at Gwen's. It was part of the post pack run tradition and I did miss my brothers as well.

"Very subtle guilt trip Mum. Fine. Half an hour and then I'm out." I decide.

"Thank you."

She can count it as a Christmas miracle.

_________________________

An hour into the party I was starting to look for my escape. With the bulk of the crowd in the main living room around the christmas tree, I took my nearly empty plate towards the kitchen, deciding to leave through the back. Stupidly I stayed for the food, that hunger I had developed back once more only now I was left with a stomach ache from eating too much. A few caterers stood around cleaning down bench tops as desert was prepared and I almost considered staying for that - until I saw Aiden. He had been by the staircase and hoping he hadn't noticed me or was choosing not to see me, I knew it was definitely time to go.

"Samara?" An all too familiar voice asked as I got to the door and turning, I forced a smile at the sight of Megan.

Gwen's cousin wasn't like Gwen. You could liken Gwen to a barbie, which she would hate me doing, but it was kind of true. Megan was less blonde, perky and smiley. During our days at school she put the meanest mean girl to shame and now here we were, in the kitchen together.

"Oh hey Megan."

"What on earth are you doing here? I thought you were dismissed of pack duties." She smiled, and I'd actually rather a vampire right now. Sure she looked friendly, but it was fake.

"Just in town for the holidays." I tell her. "You're looking well."

"I wish I could say the same thing about you." She narrowed her eyes as she looked me up and down.

I hated feeling like this. Weak. Insignificant. Her jeans seemed to fit her waist in the wrong way, her size easily double mine if not more and just that alone made me feel as tiny and useless as the child she used to pick on. I noticed the scarf around her neck gave me the fantasy of tightening it to the point she begged me for mercy, not that it would ever happen.

"There you are!" Gwen appeared as my knight in shining armour, Luke right behind her.

"We've been looking for you Sammy. Everything okay in here?" He asks, the look served to Megan making her step back slightly.

"Yeah, we were just catching up." I lie.

"It's been years since we've seen each other." Megan says sweetly.

"For good reason." Luke snaps back. "Come on, Mum wants a family photo."

I can't tell if he's lying or not but I give up my escape and follow my brother out into the main area. Gwen is right behind me, and as the three of us enter I can feel the eyes on us. There are a few murmurs that follow as I know Megan appears. Well that should keep the pack grapevine full of gossip.