A lie, kind of. Kitty was a terrible judge of character. He liked Brianna, a witch. He seemed to like Aiden, a nightmare. He was especially fond of David who in his last little visit, earned nothing but purrs from the fat cat the second he laid eyes on him. 

"I don't even know why you had a cat in the first place." Mum mumbles as she leaves as the more well cooked biscuits and saves the rest, taking over decorating duties.

"So, you are coming over tonight right?" Gwen asks soon after as we are officially kicked out of the kitchen and into the living room.

I sip my hot chocolate deciding to lie, again, to save issues later.

"Of course. Not going to your parents place for a christmas eve party sounds like something I wouldn't totally not do."

She frowns. "Especially when my cousins will be there."

"They are?" A part of me reacts. Fear makes me nervous and I pray she doesn't notice it. "Good for them."

We're all adults now. So far my old tormentors have stayed away, mostly due to my brothers sticking close at the pack events. Gwen's cousins seem to have been exempt from having to go to these things, so now I know they're back the teenage girl that was left to their mercy wants to go hide in her room and never come out. The adult me wants to muzzle them and send  them away for castration, but in this instance the old me wins.

"Sam, you won't even have to talk to them. Mum has already put down the law in the house. They're not kids anymore either. It will be fine." She promises.

"I know. I said I'm going and I will." because dealing with her cousins actually sounds like the easier option than seeing a certain tall, dark and handsome jerk that will probably be lurking around too.

"I think you're just telling me what I want to hear."

"I think you think that you think you know me better than you do."

"It'll be fun! I've loved seeing you again these last few weeks. Why did we move so far apart?" She pouts.

"Because we both hate pack stuff and your parents wouldn't let you follow me when i finally got away." I had Hannah back home, and some work friends, but Gwen just knew me and it was nice being together again. Did not mean I was prepared to go spend Christmas Eve at her house.

"So you gonna spill what's really been going on? Hannah told me you and Aiden seem to be on and off."

"It's only been off. Whatever she thinks isn't the case."

"So this is when you're off?" She holds up her phone and turns out David wasn't the only one to have seen that kiss as Hannah had sent a pic of us to Gwen. "That looks pretty damn-"

"Nothing. It was nothing. He's got issues, like I'm not even going to go there kind of issues." I yawn. "Let it go."

"Fine. Oh crap, it's nearly four. I gotta get home. So I'll see you tonight?" She asks one more time as she gets up and is already halfway out the door.

"With bells on! I wouldn't miss it."

The second she is gone Mum is in the doorway. "You're not going are you?"

"You, Dad and the boys couldn't get me there even if you had me chained up and carried me." I shrug. "I'll be fine here so long as there's more hot chocolate, cookies and tv."

Instead of leaving me alone she came and sat down instead, brushing my hair back from my face I had to smile at her touch. I wiggled over slightly and leant against her, happy to have her hug me.