Chapter 35 - Presage

Start from the beginning

Draco soon followed her approving nod up the final flight of stairs into her personal chambers. Immediately, Hermione buzzed about him as she stripped his saturated garb. Her nimble fingers moved quickly to which she soon ushered him to rest on her bed.

"Is it always so difficult for you to gain entry?" Draco's query broke her concentration.

"No, it isn't always such a struggle. She can be a bit dramatic and thus difficult to comply with your wishes. It is rather frustrating when she insists on creating such a scene."

"I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with her behavior on a regular basis."

Hermione smiled at his remark as she began to unlace his boots, careful to not twist his wounded ankle. Draco grimaced slightly at the pain. Her fingers gingerly removed his woolen sock to reveal violently purple and black bruising at his heel and joint.

"Oh, Draco! This very much looks broken! Sweetheart, I am so sorry. I will do my best to mend the bones but it will not be comfortable to say the least. Madame Pomphrey would be better suited to mend the bone.."

"There's no one I trust more than you. You are brilliant." His hand moved to grip hers in assurance, accompanied with a trusting smile.

Hermione nodded and removed a few vials from her personal storage. Like a skilled healer, she began to cleanse and dress his wound. For a few moments, she worked in determined silence as Draco overlooked her handiwork. She could feel the questions linger in his conscience.

"Would you.. Nevermind.."

"Would I what, darling?" she ceased her work as she surveyed his face.

"Would you have gone with him if I had not been there?"

"Of course not, Draco. There is no question as to where my heart belongs and where I want to be."

Draco paused thoughtfully, "He almost sounded.. pleading. Like something depended on your leaving with him."

Hermione turned toward him and stroked the ashen skin of his leg, "He does know about the two of us and one day he will come to understand. As I have told you before there is much history that remains between him and I. There is a possibility that he may have thought me traitorous for consorting with you. My hope is that one day he will come to accept that you and I are together. That is wishful thinking but please know that there is nothing that he can say to convince me to leave one of the most wondrous things I have ever experienced."

Another moment of gentle silence passed before Draco moved to make a gesture, "I love you, Hermione."

"I love you too, Draco."

Her wand slipped from the pocket of her overcoat and aimed to his ankle, before she could utter the words, he gasped, "My wand! I must have left it in the thicket of trees!"

"O-Oh, don't worry. It is far to dangerous or too cold to go back and search for it. I will go out in the morning and do my best to recover it."

"I couldn't let you go back by yourself, not with hearing that thing earlier.."

A twisted ache pulled at her stomach with remembering the wolf-like cry. "Don't worry, I won't need to get close."

"Alright, my love.."

Once more she pointed her wand at his ankle and tapped twice. "Ferula," she muttered. Bandages spun gracefully around his joint securing it tightly to a splint.

"Perfect," he smiled, admiring her work.

Hermione fetched additional blankets from a cupboard and draped them over where he lay. Desperate to get some rest, Hermione began to undress herself and into a silken slip and robe. From the bed she heard a low growl. Without acknowledging his suggestive attempts, she smiled. "You do realize that nothing will occur tonight, especially in that condition."

Draco chuckled, "I wasn't hinting at anything. I was merely expressing my appreciation." His innocent tone was anything but.

"Of course, how could I assume anything otherwise?" Her playful tone mimicked his own as she moved close into his side.

His hand traveled over her form, stopping to caress her most intimate points without expectation for something more in return. The warmth of his bodily heat soothed her frayed nerves. Together their breathing slowed and a deep slumber took the pair for its captives.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lingering thoughts of retrieving Draco's wand pulled Hermione from her peaceful rest and alert into reality. Draco had surrendered to the demanding pull of restful recovery and remained asleep. She dared not disturb him as she dressed in layers. Slipping on her boots, she artfully shut her chamber door without the crack of a single sound.

Clatter of forks and knives against metal platters replaced the silent crackle of the lit torches. Hermione's idea to attain Draco's wand was simple. She had remembered Harry's triumph against the Hungarian Horntail in the Triwizard Tournament. He had managed to summon his broom from a lengthy distance using only his wand and concentration. The middle of the descending staircase leading to the village seemed to be the most opportune place to conduct her magic.

Hermione's hands extended in front of her with her wand clasped firmly in her dominant hand. Several appeasing breaths filled her lungs as she steadied her mind to focus on her target. Picturing his wand, she muttered, "Accio Draco's wand."

An almost undetectable twitch shook her wand as if a subtle current kicked her wand into action. With her eyes closed, she waited for the distinct whistle of an object slicing through open air. Moments past before a faint whoosh sounded from the distance. A black dash appeared in the distance zooming quickly to her position.

Elation overtook her that the charm had succeeded over such a great distance. This happiness was short lived once Draco's wand slowed to a halt just before her. On the handle were indention markings resembling teeth in the handle. Hermione's fingers extended to hover over the unmistakable platters of dried blood and tufts of silver hair.

---------------------------------------------

Please forgive the grammatical errors. It is very late at night and I wanted to issue this chapter since I have yet to do so in such a long time. I will edit any errors I recognize in the morning. Happy reading!! <3