Chapter 35 - Presage

Hermione

Bursts of glacial winds whipped at her cheeks, solidifying the tears against her skin. Each iced droplet burned into her flesh like the arctic dagger of a scorned Jack Frost. Ron disappeared suddenly, leaving only the residue of his searing ire. Her feet acted of their own accord. Away they rushed, carrying her through the rustling thicket. Twisting branches thrashed in the screaming winds, clashing against one another like a drunken brawl.

How could he do this to me? How could he be so cruel?

Agonizing questions dizzied her vision as she desperately evaded the frozen pockets of water. The air beat against the rigid trunks as a sudden frenzied cry halted her escape. Her conscience lingered, her body daring to move closer to the distressed sound. Hints of familiarity in the sound fed her curiosity.

What could that be?

Her trepidation to move into the firing range of danger begged for a pause. Once more the cry carried, pleading of anguish and desperation. Harsh divots of the tree trunks provided brace as she ventured inward.

"HERMIONE!"

"DRACO!"

In the midst of confrontation, she had forgotten that she had left Draco to brave the crowd to fetch her scarf. Her eyes strained to scan the obscure darkness as her heart pounded in a frenzy. Internally the berating began for disappearing without a trace.

"Hermione.."

His call weakened considerably into an almost inaudible whisper carrying into the howling winds. Pockets of frozen puddles appeared more frequently as she combed through the treacherous roots. Every ounce of air drained from her lungs as she called to him one final time. Just then, between the density of trees a subtle movement caught her attention.

"Draco.."

A peaked hand lay against the ground with fallen debris clutched in his fist. Hermione moved quickly to kneel by his side. Claw marks had been drawn into the solid ground where he valiantly attempted to free himself from the cruel locking of roots. Like a perfunctory reflex her wand withdrew from her pocket in a fluid movement he was liberated.

"Don't.." his meek voice broke.

Rolling him to her lap, she brushed the soot and hair from his face. "Don't what?"

"Don't.. Don't go with him.."

Hermione couldn't help but exhale in amusement that his first concern would be of Ron's absurd attempts. Of course there was no question in her mind where her heart belonged. "Darling, I wouldn't dream of running away with him." her voice soothed with as much gentility as she could muster.

"Good.."

"We must go! The winds are becoming more violent and I fear the worst may be awaiting us if we don't leave now. Are you able to walk?"

Draco struggled to rise to his feet. His ankle gave way the moment he shifted to support his full weight. "I won't be able to move quickly. I can no longer feel my feet but I can feel a sharp ache in my leg."

"Take my arm, we shall move together."

Obliging her command, he embraced her support. Hermione strained to keep a quickened pace without causing excess pressure to his damaged extremity. Hogsmeade had long since been occupied. Fresh snow canvased the stone pathways without a single trace of boot prints left to be seen. The jagged staircase leading to the castle doors moved into view. Eerie worry set into her core at the lack of human presence. Not a single shoppe sported a lit window. Suddenly, Draco ceased and refused to move.