✗Chapter 16: Petty Paranoia✗

"Thanks for helping me unpack up here Gabs, I'll cover the rest of the house tomorrow." You thanked her tiredly, stifling a yawn that tried to slip through your lips.

"Anytime (Y/n), I'll always try and help." Gabby gently replied as she finished hanging up your clothes.

"Aww you cutie. Thanks Gabrie-" You were gonna call her by her full name but got interrupted; the white-haired girl throwing a pillow at you.

"Say my full name and I will throw more than just a pillow at you." She warned darkly.

"Noted, noted." You giggled and picked up the pillow, placing it back on the bed.

"Want to come round to mine and binge watch YouTube? I can order pizza." Gabby grinned, your eyes lighting up. Spending time with your new best friend and getting free food? Sweet!

"Of course! I'd love to!" You agreed at once, both of you going downstairs and leaving your tidy bedroom behind.

"I heard Dead Meat just did a new kill count."

"Oh hell yeah!"

So that's how you ended up in Gabby's living room, munching on pizza and watching YouTube on her widescreen TV. Both of you were talking whilst you watched, laughing at certain parts and watching different things. It was around 10pm by this time, both of you worn out by how much fun you two had been having. You went to the bathroom briefly and when you'd returned you saw that Gabby had the news on.

"Since when do you watch the news?" You asked incredulously, sitting down next to her again.

"I'm following a murder case from fifteen years ago - the city council decided on whether to give someone parole or not." Gabs spoke in a hushed tone; trying to be creepy on purpose.

"A murder case? Oooh, spoopy. Do explain." You hugged a cushion as you watched the TV, your eyes glued to the screen.

"Fifteen years ago a boy called Michael Myers murdered his whole family and got admitted into Smith's Grove Sanitarium. Today the council decided if he could be given parole - they're just about to announce the result." She explained quickly.

"Sounds interesting." You murmured; intrigued by the dark topic. But that name - Michael Myers - it sounded so familiar. Did you know him? Huh.

"-Speaking of which, the City Council has come to a decision about the Michael Myers situation. It turns out 25-year-old Michael Myers will not be given parole. Instead, he is to remain at Smith's Grove Sanitarium indefinitely. Now that we've finally received the decision, we can conclude the Myers case and move onto the Weather. Kaitlyn?"

"Wow, they denied him parole...dang." Gabby digested the drama, her mouth open whilst she continued looking at the screen.

"You sound surprised." You noted curiously.

"I am. The City Council is usually quite lenient with paroles - it's incredibly rare that they deny someone a chance to get one. Michael Myers must be a very dangerous person if they sentenced him to stay in Smith's Grove for life." Gabs remarked and switched the news off - flicking back to YouTube.

"Michael Myers...I swear I know that name. I feel like I know him." You muttered - mostly to yourself. But Gabby did hear, casting a confused look in your direction.

"You know Michael Myers? How is that possible?" She questioned dubiously.

"Maybe he was the bad friend my mom warned me about." You teasingly replied, shrugging.

"That would make sense. You had a bad friend, he killed people on Halloween and that's why your mom panicked when you moved back here." Gabby mused mysteriously - investigating.

"Oh yes, I'm friends with a psychotic murderer, wooooo~! Great detective work, Sherlock Holmes." You playfully punched her side and rolled your eyes, amused by her remark.

"You never know." She responded in a spooky voice, smirking as she wiggled her fingers creepily.

"Uh huh. Well I'm gonna go home now and start an evil ritual - to free my murderous bestie." Sarcasm flowed from your tone like a water down a waterfall, the ridiculous reply making the two of you laugh.

"Send my regards." Gabs snickered.

"But seriously, it's getting late. I'm gonna go home and crash." You stifled a yawn and stood up, feeling tired.

"Thanks for hanging out. I had a blast!" Gabby hugged you before she walked you to the door.

"It was awesome to meet you. I can't wait to hang out some more!" You pulled her into another soft hug as you said goodbye, a little sad to be going. But you were tired and besides, you'd see her soon right?

"Yeah! We could even spend Halloween together, it is in two days after all." Gabs reminded you in excitement.

"How could I forget? We have to watch some scary movies and dress up." You responded brightly, standing on her porch-steps by this point.

"Are you old enough to watch scary movies? Did your mom give you the 18+ stamp of approval?" She mocked mischievously, giggling again.

"Oh shut up! You're such an ass." You complained and she smirked.

"I know you are but what am I?" Gabby playfully teased.

"Jerk. I'm going now, see you soon~" You chuckled as you walked away from her house, giving a little wave.

"Bye (Y/n)~" She called after you affectionately, waving back.

You smiled and then focused on crossing the street, your eyes drooping a bit. Driving all night and then unpacking your bedroom had definitely taken its toll on you - your body becoming exhausted. As you neared your house, a twig snapped from your right; causing your head to swivel in that direction. Was someone...there? You edged closer to the bushes, nervous about what could be lurking in the dark.

"H-Hello-? Who's there-?" You called out tentatively, feeling like an idiot. It was probably no one. But shouldn't you at least check-?

"Uwaaah!" You shrieked and shot back; a stray dog barking whilst it ran past you. P-Phew, just a dog. Your paranoia was just getting the best of you.

You entered your house and then locked the door behind you, immediately going upstairs. You still had to unpack the rest of the house, but for now only sleep awaited you. sweet...soothing...sleep. You didn't even change clothes, collapsing onto your bed and snuggling under the covers. You were finally away from your mom, in a quiet little town with Gabby. Your life was sure to be awesome from here on out. Slumber washed over you and you fell asleep, leaving reality behind as you began to dream.

"T-T-That p-picture...W-What was that p-picture-?" Flashes of bright lights and distortion covered your vision, the nauseous feeling becoming worse with every few seconds that passed.

"It was-It was nothing! I didn't even show you a picture, I was trying to find the one of Boo!" A picture of a dead rat filled your dreaming mind - the gruesome photograph proving to be very graphic and disturbing.

"What's going on here? (Y/n)?!" A familiar voice called your name in alarm, the dizzy blur creating a panicked emotion. Panic attack, definitely a panic attack. But why-?

A shocked gasp slipped through your mouth as your eyes snapped open, stray tears shining on your cheeks whilst sweat slid down your forehead. W-Was that a memory-? O-Or was that just a nightmare-?