Chapter Eleven

"I have to go to a party today." I complained, my voice whiney, rolling over onto my back as I spoke into the phone.

"What kind of party?" Ryo asked, sounding mildly interested.

"Some kind of cocktail party." My nose scrunched up, and he snickered, clearly enjoying my pain.

"Is this the one everybody's talking about? Romi Mitchell and Brad Prince's anniversary shindig?"

"Okay, first off, please never use the word shindig." I ordered, hating how incredibly 90s the word was. "Secondly, yes, it is that party."

"You shouldn't be complaining," Ryo informed me, a teasing lilt to his tone. "Everyone wants to score an invite to this thing."

"Oh, shut up." I huffed, playing with a strand of my hair. My Saturday had been amazing, and I just lazed around watching every chick flick I could, but now Sunday had reared its ugly head and I was currently waiting for Ally to show up so that we could get ready together.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang and I sighed. "That was the doorbell. It's probably Ally." I told Ryo, making a face when he laughed at my tone.

"Why did you say yes to this in the first place?" He inquired, amusedly.

"I don't know!" I exclaimed, before adding in an effort at defending myself, "Romi asked me and I didn't realize I'd said yes until I did!"

Ryo just kept laughing.

"Now, I have to go," I said, as Ally walked into the room, a dress bag, shoebox and makeup kit in hand, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," He was still entertained by my plight. "Have fun."

He hung up before I could cuss him out.

"Was that who I think it is?" Ally demanded in lieu of a greeting, "Because, if it was, I still totally ship it."

"Hello to you, too." I greeted, rolling my eyes. "And, yes, that was Ryo."

"You too would be so cute together. I can just imagine it." She said dreamily, probably imagining some sort of hellish alternate universe where Ryo and I would actually be a thing.

"Yeah, that's not happening." I said, my tone dry. "Like, never."

"Never say never." She teased, singing her words. "I remember how you used to look at him."

"You know, Ally, 'used to' is the key phrase here."

"Why, though?" She whined, pouting, "You two would be, like, the perfect couple!" She insisted.

"Because I don't like him!" I protested, glaring at her, "He's like the annoying older brother I never had, who teases me about every little thing."

"I thought you do have a brother?" Ally said confusedly, referring to Chase, who I hadn't spoken to in four days and probably should call.

"I do, but Chase was always like the overprotective brother, the one who beat up anyone who teased me and took every stupid thing I said seriously."

"Aww!" Ally exclaimed, her voice so high-pitched that I winced. "That's so sweet!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I brushed it off, "Now, can we start getting ready? We have to leave in two hours."

"You're right." She said, turning her gaze towards me, and surveying my appearance before crinkling her nose delicately, "We do have our work cut out for us."

"Should I be offended by that?" I joked, knowing that I looked like a potato and we did, as she said, have our work cut out for us.

"Probably."