Chapter 9: "We can't leave you here."

Start from the beginning

He hesitated for a moment before Justin pulled on him once more. Doing a double take on him, John relentlessly allowed Justin to take over, blood all over his hands and chest.

Pulling his jacket off, Justin pressed it against her chest where the bullet was lodged inside. Reaching under her chin, he pressed his two fingers against the side of her neck. "Come on," he breathed out quietly, "come on – everyone shut up!"

Silence filled the air as nearly everyone cleared the room, a few people scattered in shock to what had just happened. They were waiting, watching to see what they were going to do.

A few seconds had passed before he felt something. There was a faint pulse. Small.

"She's breathing but barely. We need to get her to a hospital now," he breathed out, looking up at John who nearly drifted over them in panic.

He was panicking. "I can't lose her,"

"You're not," he reassured.

"Justin, I can't fucking lose her."

Standing, Justin quickly grabbed John by the back of the head pressing his forehead against his own. They remained quiet for a few seconds, "you won't, I promise – I promise, okay?"

Nodding his head, John grabbed Justin back by the back of the head as well, taking a deep breath.

"We got this. She's going to be okay."

Clearing the way for the ambulance as they rushed into the scene, John let Justin go, wiping at his face as he watched them check her pulse now too, speaking amongst each other as they pulled equipment out.

He couldn't understand what they were saying. He couldn't understand anything.

"Is she going to be okay?"

"She's got a faint pulse, there was an entrance to the bullet but no exit wound which means it's still lodged inside. We need to get her to the hospital, now. Call and make sure they clear a room for us and they're ready when we get there."

"Is she going to be okay?" John repeated, stepping around them.

"Sir,"

"That's my wife."

Sighing, he traded a genuine look of concern as two other paramedics crouched down grabbing onto Carly, helping her onto the gurney before pulling it up to its original height as they began moving out, pushing the gurney forwards. "We're going to do the best we can to make sure she stays alive."

"That's my wife."

"Sir."

"That's my wife," he repeated again in form of a whisper.

"We're going to do everything we can." Laying a hand on his shoulder, he gave it a squeeze before calling for everyone to make room.

Following after them without a second thought, John rushed next to them holding onto the gurney as he continued to whisper in her ear, reminding her that he was there and not going anywhere.

"We have to go."

"We need to find out who did this."

"Now isn't the time."

"When is the time?"

"He needs us right now. Everything else can wait."

"Shut up!"

Turning, they all stared at Kelsey, wide-eyed and panting.

Justin's face fell, "Kelsey—"

Guilt overshadowed their faces, having realized Carly was also someone very significant to her too.