UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER

Unexpected Encounter

By: Krista Rica A. Dacalos

Present Day Year 2015.

In Manila, under a sunny morning sky, Mrs. Guzman had just finished baking her lasagna. She called for her 10-year-old daughter, Kylie, to join her for breakfast. Kylie's eyes sparkled with delight at the sight of the well-baked lasagna.

"Happy birthday, Mom!" Kylie exclaimed, taking her seat at the marble table. She reached for the lasagna slicer but was stopped by a gentle smack on her hand from her mother.

"Thank you, darling!" Mrs. Guzman replied with a smile, pinching Kylie's nose. "Wash your hands first, then sit properly. The table isn't for sitting on!"

Kylie washed her hands and rejoined her mother at the table. Their bond had grown stronger in the absence of Mr. Guzman, Kylie's dad, a busy engineer overseeing a major project in Tagaytay. Despite his busy schedule, he stayed connected with his family, returning home whenever possible.

As they enjoyed their breakfast, Kylie asked her mother a surprising question. "Mom, was Daddy your greatest love?"

Mrs. Guzman paused, a fleeting shadow of pain and longing crossing her face before she forced a smile. "Why do you ask, dear?" she responded, her voice slightly hoarse.

Kylie, oblivious to the change in her mother's demeanor, pressed on with wide-eyed innocence. "Dad mentioned some things, but I want to hear the whole story of your great love from you."

With a deep sigh, Mrs. Guzman relented. "Alright, but first, you should know I truly love your father. However..." She paused, gathering her thoughts. "He wasn't my one great love. It all began when I was about your age..."

Flashback to 1990

In the summer of 1990, 10-year-old Kendra was spending her vacation at her grandparents' villa in Bulacan. She often played in a secluded garden under a grand Acacia tree, despite her grandmother's warnings about snakes. With the help of some maids, Kendra transformed the overgrown garden into a charming hideaway, complete with her favorite sunflowers.

One morning, while sweeping, Kendra heard a mysterious "pssst" from an unseen visitor. Scanning the area, she found no one. Resuming her watering, the sound came again.

Looking up, Kendra saw a strikingly handsome young man, around twenty, with pale skin and short golden hair, leaning against the Acacia tree. His presence surprised her; she hadn't noticed him earlier.

"You could've just said hello, you know," Kendra said with a glare. "It's rude to 'pssst' at someone."

The young man chuckled apologetically. "Forgive me, little one. I'm Alexander."

Kendra's curiosity was piqued. "How did you get up there? Why were you hiding?"

Alexander's grin widened. "I wasn't hiding. I actually live here, in this tree."

Confused, Kendra protested, pointing out that the villa belonged to her grandparents. Alexander explained that he meant he lived in the garden, not the house, and had been there for as long as he could remember.

Kendra was baffled. "You can't live in a tree! You'll fall and die.!"

Laughing, Alexander revealed a secret. "Promise not to tell?

Kendra nodded, though a hint of doubt lingered in her eyes. She gave Alexander a cheeky smile, her childlike innocence shining through. Raising her right hand, she solemnly promised to keep his secret. Alexander couldn't help but find her utterly adorable. Then, in a blink, he vanished, only to reappear right in front of her.